Foundation / Corporation
01/11/19 5:00 PM
Grants of $50,000 to honor Greater Tampa Bay area, Florida individuals in recognition of extraordinary contributions to the community, a commitment to giving back, and a history of volunteerism. Grant awards will be donated to benefit a local nonprofit charity of the recipient's choosing. Eligible nominees must live in one of the following counties: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, and Sarasota.
The following is a non-exclusive list of factors to be considered by the Lightning Community Advisory Committee and the Lightning Foundation Board of Directors in selecting the Lightning Community Heroes:
- The degree to which the Hero has been a catalyst for a cause that meets basic human needs or enriches the lives of others
- The degree to which the Hero has exhibited dedication and selflessness
- The degree to which the Hero has made a special and significant impact on individuals, families, or the community-at-large
- The degree to which the Hero has gone "above and beyond" to serve and inspire others
- The degree to which the Nominator is able to convey the overall significance and impact of the Hero's work.
There is no one definition of what makes a Hero, but most tend to be unsung Heroes who are quietly doing amazing work for the improvement of the community.
GrantWatch ID#: 161425
The Hero is presented with a $50,000 grant on his/her behalf to benefit the nonprofit charities of his or her choice.
A Hero may be nominated several times by multiple people, but please remember quality over quantity. To be eligible for selection as a Lightning Community Hero, a nominated Hero must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Must live in one of the following seven Florida counties: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota
- Must complete a publicity release as a condition to selection
- Must submit the required information regarding the organization to which he or she would like the funds to be awarded
To be eligible for selection as a designated organization to receive an award of $50,000, the organization must meet the following minimum criteria:
- 501( c)(3) tax-exempt organization with solid local operations, highly regarded organizational and board leadership, and in good financial standing
- Headquartered and providing services within the following Florida counties: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota. A local chapter of a national organization headquartered within such counties will be eligible
- Be representative of the cause for which the Lightning Community Hero was nominated (but not necessarily an employee of the organization)
- Have a track record of quality service delivery and demonstrated results
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and long term sustainability of programs
- Be willing to enter into a contract with the Lightning Foundation agreeing that (i) the organization will use the awarded funds as mutually agreed upon, (ii) the Lightning Foundation will have the right to verify that the awarded funds were so used, (iii) the organization will return any part of the awarded funds that were not so used within 12 months after the initial disbursement of the awarded funds, and (iv) it will assist the Lightning Foundation to do a follow-up story/vignette on how the funds impacted the organization for publication or promotion.
The next deadline is on Friday, January 11, 2019, 5:00 PM.
A Hero may be nominated several times by multiple people, but please remember quality over quantity.
To be eligible for consideration, each nomination must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Nominator must be at least 13 years old
- All nominations must be submitted online
- A nominator may only nominate one Hero throughout the season. If a nominator submits multiple nominations, only the first submission will be considered.
- Nominator must provide the contact information, including email address and telephone number for the nominated Hero
- Nominator must live in one of the following seven Florida counties: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota
- Nominator must submit nomination in either English or Spanish
- Nominator will be required to complete a publicity release, should his or her Hero be selected as a Lightning Community Hero
Eligibility information: https://www.nhl.com/lightning/community/community-heroes/eligibility
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online nomination form: https://app.wizehive.com/appform/login/traditionalnom20181
Please feel free to contact Sarah Costello or Elizabeth Frazier with any questions you may have.
USA: Florida: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, and Sarasota counties