Foundation / Corporation
The Japan Foundation Toronto (JFT)
Grants to Canada nonprofit organizations, teachers' associations, and academic societies for Japanese language educational activities. Funding areas include conferences, publications, teaching materials, expansion of staff, and contests and activities. This program is intended to promote Japanese-language education in Canada by providing support to a wide range of activities essential to the dissemination of Japanese-language and the development of Japanese-language education.
Applying organizations and groups may apply for a combination of programs that meet their needs, depending on their activity.
Examples of programs eligible for this support are given below:
- C-I Japanese-Language Speech Contest and Activities Support Grant: Pays some of the costs of holding programs such as speech contests, presentations, and debate contests that are intended to motivate students and raise local interest in Japanese-language education.
- C-II Staff Expansion Grant: Pays part of the salary and wages paid by an applicant to Japanese-language teachers when they start a new Japanese-language course or increase the number of courses.
- C-III Teaching Material Purchase and Support for Resource Centre Grant: Pays part of the cost of purchasing teaching materials and supplementary materials needed by Japanese-language teachers when conducting Japanese-language courses. (The Japan Foundation is not able to purchase and mail teaching materials.)
- C-IV Publication Grant: Pays part of the cost of preparing and publishing teaching materials consistent with the curriculum and needs.
- C-IV Conference Grant: Pays part of the cost of holding seminars, workshops, symposiums and training sessions for Japanese-language teachers.
- C-IV Other Original Proposals: Pays part of the cost of carrying out projects that have been planned by the applicant to promote Japanese-language education or train Japanese-language teachers.
More detailed information about the program areas can be seen in the Program Guidelines, below.
GrantWatch ID#: 161573
In principle, the maximum remittance amount:
- For speech contests is limited to $5,000 CAD for a national contest and $500 CAD for a regional contest.
- For Staff Expansion Grants for each applicant is $5,000 CAD.
- Is $1,000 CAD for teaching materials purchases and $5,000 CAD for Japanese education resource centre.
- For grants offered to teachers to support participation in training seminars is $500 CAD, and $5,000 CAD each for all other projects.
During the current application period, the Japan Foundation will accept applications for projects that would be implemented during the Japanese fiscal year of 2019 (April 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020).
C-II Staff Expansion Grant: The maximum duration of the subsidy is three years (36 months) from the date on which the teacher is officially hired for the relevant post. However, the grant from the Japan Foundation is not automatically extended over the three years. Rather, the Japan Foundation will decide whether to provide grants for the following fiscal year after reviewing the reports and other materials submitted by the applicants. As a general rule, programs do not receive support in their fourth year, with the exception of cases in which the Japan Foundation determines that there are strong reasons for continuing to provide grants to an organization or group which has received support for the same program for the past three consecutive years. This is a measure designed to ensure a wider range of grant recipients.
C-IV Publication Grant: The proposed work must be made available on the commercial market sometime between April 1, 2019 and February 28, 2020. (Works already on market will not be considered.)
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Contact Barbara Carter, Program Officer at email@example.com for further information.
The Japan Foundation, Toronto
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 300,
P.O. Box 130, Toronto,
Ontario, Canada M4W 1A8
Tel: 416-966-1600 ext. 233
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon