Foundation / Corporation
Carl B. and Florence E. King Foundation
08/31/18 4:30 PM
Grants to Texas nonprofit organizations in eligible regions for programs that align with the following areas of support: the aging, arts and cultural experiences, assisting children and youth, education, and assistance to the indigent. LOIs are due by June 15. Eligible regions include: Denton, Collin, Tarrant, Dallas, and Rockwall Counties.
More information on the focus areas is as follows:
- Aging Population: Helping seniors protect or improve their financial independence, through efforts such as employment services, money management programs, financial literacy education, benefits counseling, and debt management assistance; improving independence through areas such as food and nutrition insecurity, mental health counseling and case management, transportation, and home improvement or repair; and protecting seniors from physical or financial abuse.
- Arts, Culture, and History: Providing artistic, historical, or cultural experiences that enhance learning in school-age children, or extend the benefit of the arts to children, the elderly, and others who might not otherwise have access; helping the cultural sector build future audiences and generate sustained operational funding.
- Children and Youth: Assisting young people who are aging out of the foster care system in preparing for independent adulthood, including case management, education, employment, housing, and mental health services; and supporting youth that are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless.
- Education: Supporting the educational and social-emotional development of children ages birth to five, including pre-K programs, kindergarten readiness efforts, and quality improvement initiatives.
- Indigent: Addressing the wealth gap by improving the financial stability and economic security of individuals and families through an integrated approach of improving financial health, income supports, and employment, offered either by a single agency or a group of agencies working in concert.
The majority of Foundation funding is for program support, but the Foundation also awards some capital grants.
GrantWatch ID#: 161753
The Foundation will consider both multiyear grant awards and single-year grants that may be renewed annually.
Organizations must have 501(c)3 designation from the Internal Revenue Service.
The King Foundation awards grants to agencies that either are located in, or are serving residents of the counties of Denton, Collin, Tarrant, Dallas, and Rockwall. Agencies based outside the service area may be eligible to apply for funding. Please contact the Foundation to discuss your eligibility before submitting a request.
- To individuals.
- To organizations or programs that do not serve residents of the geographic focus in Texas.
- To organizations that are not tax exempt or have not received their 501c3 designation from the Internal Revenue Service.
- For general operating support, annual fund drives, or funds to offset operating losses including retiring debt incurred to cover those losses.
- To create endowments.
- Toward galas, balls, luncheons, or other events benefitting charitable organizations.
- To efforts to treat or cure a single disease or condition.
- To support medical research.
- To church or seminary construction, or religious programs.
- Toward the cost of hosting or attending professional conferences or symposia, or participating in amateur sports competitions or similar activities.
Staff at the King Foundation meet and talk with prospective grantseekers throughout the year, and encourage agencies to contact them before applying. Although staff cannot definitively predict what the board will fund, they can steer you toward the approach they believe is most likely to be successful. They can also discourage you from applying if they know your request is not a good fit.
Spring Grant Cycle:
- Letter of Inquiry due: December 15, 2017 by 4:30 PM
- Invitation to submit a full proposal: About February 1, 2018
- Full proposal deadline: February 28, 2018 by 4:30 PM
- Grants awarded: June 2018
- Grant payments are made over the next six months, with the majority being paid by September.
Fall Grant Cycle:
- Letter of Inquiry due: June 15, 2018 by 4:30 PM
- Invitation to submit a full proposal: Around August 1, 2018
- Full proposal deadline: August 31, 2018 by 4:30 PM
- Grants awarded: December 2018
- Grant payments are made over the next 12 months, with the majority being paid by June.
The Foundation encourages potential applicants to contact staff prior to submitting a LOI to discuss the request and potential fit with current funding interests.
Application process: http://kingfoundation.com/home/north-texas/north-texas-apply/
Review process: http://kingfoundation.com/grantwriting-help/our-review-process/
Program areas: http://kingfoundation.com/home/north-texas/north-texas-what-we-fund/
Tips for a strong proposal: http://kingfoundation.com/grantwriting-help/tips-for-grant-seekers/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: http://cornerstonebti.net/Kingfoundation/online-portal/
Michelle D. Monse, President
Amie Morgan, Grant Administrator
Carl B. & Florence E. King Foundation
2301 Cedar Springs Rd., Suite 330
Dallas, TX 75201
Map of eligible areas: http://kingfoundation.com/home/north-texas/north-texas-map/
USA: Texas: Denton, Collin, Tarrant, Dallas, and Rockwall Counties