Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), Office of Rural Health and Primary Care (ORHPC)
01/25/19 4:00 PM CST Receipt
Grants starting at $45,000 to Minnesota rural hospitals for needed equipment and facility improvements. Funding is intended to support the purchase and installation of new equipment; construction of new hospital spaces; remodeling, renovation, and modernization of aging facilities; and the establishment of electronic health records systems.
The Rural Hospital Capital Improvement Grant Program awards grants to eligible hospitals for undertaking needed modernization projects necessary to maintain the operations of a hospital. Eligible hospitals include small (maximum of 50 beds), non-federal, general acute care hospitals in Minnesota rural areas with populations of less than 15,000, located outside the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Eligible projects fall under these two categories:
- Purchase (and installation) of new hospital equipment
- Construction of new or existing hospital spaces
GrantWatch ID#: 163092
- Maximum Award Amount: $125,000
- Minimum Award Amount: $45,000
Project Dates: April 1, 2019 – March 31, 2023
Awards will be made for a period of 12-48 months. Grantees are expected to complete their projects within the duration of the grant project dates. Applicants should include a realistic estimate of the time the project will require.
- A non-federal, general acute care hospital in Minnesota
- It is located in a rural area in a community with a population of less than 15,000, according to United States Census Bureau statistics, and is outside the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- It has 50 or fewer beds.
Ineligible expenses include but are not limited to:
- Taxes, except sales tax on goods and services
- Lobbyists, political contributions
- Bad debts, late payment feeds, finance charges, or contingency funds
Applications must be received by MDH no later than 4:00PM Central Standard Time on Friday, January 25, 2019.
- Request for Proposals (RFP) Issued: November 28, 2018
- Application Deadline: January 25, 2019
- Grants Start Date (approximately): May 1, 2019
MDH anticipates notifying all applicants via mail of funding decisions by March 15, 2019.
Applications may be submitted to Grant Manager Lina Jau by mail, email, or by courier/FedEx or any other delivery service.
Match Requirement: To be eligible, applicant hospitals must certify that at least 25 percent of the grant request amount, which may include in-kind services, is available for the same purposes from non-state resources.
All questions must be submitted by email to Lina Jau, Grant Manager. Emails will be responded to within 2 business days. Questions and answers that MDH determines to be appropriate for publication will be posted on the ORHPC website on January 16, 2019.
To ensure the proper and fair evaluation of all applications, other communications regarding the RFP including verbal, telephone, written or internet initiated by or on behalf of any applicant to any employee of the Department, other than questions submitted to as outlined above, are prohibited.
Per State Policy on Grant Payments, grant dollars will be distributed to a grantee organization on a reimbursement basis.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit the application by one of the following methods:
1. By courier, FedEx, or any other next-day delivery service to:
Lina Jau, Grant Manager
MDH – Golden Rule Building
85 E. 7th Place, Suite 220
St. Paul, MN 55101
2. Via the US Post Office (USPS):
Lina Jau, Grant Manager
Minnesota Department of Health, ORHPC
PO Box 64882
St. Paul, MN 55164-0882
3. By email:
For questions, contact Lina Jau, Grant Manager at 651-201-3809 or using the above email address.