Organizations eligible for funding include nonprofit organizations and individual artists or projects with a 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor. Applicants must be based in and/or have a demonstrated history of operating in San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, San Mateo, Contra Costa or Santa Clara counties.
For projects with planned in-person performances (in accordance with public health guidelines) the Foundation will prioritize projects taking place in San Francisco and Oakland. The Foundation recommends that organizations with projects with planned in-person performances taking place outside of San Francisco or Oakland contact Arts Program Staff to discuss how the proposal aligns with the Foundation’s priorities. The Foundation is interested in continuing to foster a thriving arts ecosystem across the Bay Area and accepts proposals from organizations in six counties, including: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara. However, the Foundation primarily funds projects taking place in San Francisco and Oakland.
The Foundation accepts applications from applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Tax status: Nonprofit organizations or 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsors (requires a written agreement).
- Geography: Organizations must be based in and/or have a demonstrated history of operating in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties. The Foundation prioritizes support for projects that take place in San Francisco and Oakland. See FAQ for more details.
- Artist residency: The majority of artists supported by the project must be based in and/or have a demonstrated history of producing in the Bay Area counties listed above. Artists supported through the grant are not required to currently reside in one of the eligible Bay Area counties; however, they should have a demonstrated history of working in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties.
- Annual budget: Organizations must have at least a $10,000 annual budget for their last closed fiscal year. (For applicants that don’t meet minimum budget requirement: If your last closed fiscal year budget does not meet this requirement, but you have had an annual budget of at least $10,000 within the last three years, please submit that prior year budget with your application.)
Note: The NEW Program supports small and mid-size dance, theater and multidisciplinary arts organizations. This is based on the annual budget of the applicant organization. Small and mid-size organization’s annual budgets range between $10,000 and $2 million.
For current and previous grantees:
- Current NEW Program grantees must complete previously funded projects before applying for an additional grant. If your project is complete but you haven’t submitted your grant report, it must be submitted by the application deadline.
- If your previously funded NEW Program project was converted to general operating support, you are eligible to apply.
- Current Open Spaces Program grantees who are interested in applying should contact Arts Program Staff
- The Foundation is unlikely to fund an organization consecutively through the NEW Program.
For ineligible projects and organizations, please see the FAQs page listed in Pre-Application Information below.