Grants of up to $25,000 to Minnesota farmers to modernize and improve livestock-related equipment and infrastructure. Priority will be given to emerging farmers, generational transitions, and the production of livestock for Halal and Kosher markets. Funding is available for structural improvements, equipment purchases, and acquisition of facilities used to help start, improve, or expand livestock operations in the state of Minnesota.
The AGRI Livestock Investment Grant encourages long-term industry development for Minnesota livestock farmers and ranchers by helping them improve, update, and modernize their livestock operation infrastructure and equipment.
This grant program reimburses investments in:
Buildings or facilities for the production of livestock or livestock products.
Development of pasture for use by livestock, including but not limited to lanes, watering systems, and fences.
Equipment for livestock housing, confinement, feeding, and waste management.
This grant will prioritize:
Emerging farmers, including women, veterans, persons with disabilities, American Indian or Alaskan Natives, members of a community of color, young farmers, and farmers who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA+).
Production of livestock for Kosher or Halal markets
- Be the principal operator of a livestock operation in Minnesota
- Be a resident of the state of Minnesota or be a business entity authorized to farm in Minnesota
- Hold an appropriate feedlot registration when applicable
- Be in good standing with the State of Minnesota
- No back taxes owed
- No defaults on State-backed financing for the last 7 years
- Acceptable performance on past MDA grants
- Not be an employee or spouse of the MDA
- October 5, 2023, at 4 p.m. CT: Deadline to ask grant program questions
- October 12, 2023, at 4 p.m. CT: Applications Due
- December 1, 2023: Applicants notified of decisions; grant agreement notifications begin
- January 10, 2024: Anticipated state date for projects awarded funding
It is best practice to submit your application at least 24 hours in advance.
An individual or farm may only receive one grant in FY24.
The AGRI Livestock Investment Grant is a reimbursement grant for up to 10% of the project cost.