Foundation / Corporation
Israel Cancer Research Fund (ICRF)
01/07/19 11:59 PM EDT
Grants of up to $50,000 per year to Israel institutions to support cancer-related research carried out by full professors. Funding is intended to offer a unique research opportunity and to promote productivity in cancer research. The award will support a full-time, senior faculty member, or individual in an equivalent position, who has made outstanding contributions to cancer research and who will continue to provide leadership in his or her research area.
The research experience and interest of the applicant may be in either basic biological science or in clinical research and must relate to cancer.
An application for an ICRF Research Professorship must originate jointly with the institution and the proposed awardee, and must describe fully all proposed research and teaching activities. The endorsement (signature) of the head of the institution or other person authorized to commit the institution to abide by the requirements of the ICRF is required.
Scientific Review of Applications:
Applications will be considered for funding on the basis of the overall merit of the proposal as determined by the Scientific Review Panel, relevance of the proposal to the research objectives of the ICRF, and the availability of funds.
In the review of applications for scientific merit, attention is given to the candidate's prior training and experience, career potential, proposed research, environment, and other related information. Applicants are expected to provide evidence of past accomplishments and, more importantly, demonstrate potential for continued enriching contributions to the cancer research field. The relationship of the research to cancer must be defined in the application.
The award may be utilized for (a) salary support, or (b) laboratory support, or a combination of both. A detailed operating budget must accompany the application.
The ICRF Research Professorship will be awarded with the understanding that the recipient will be eligible for promotion and salary increases under the same criteria used for other faculty members at the home institution.
1. The home institution must be satisfied that the candidate is unusually well-qualified to fill the position for which the grant is being sought.
2. The position will carry all of the rights and privileges normally provided at the institution.
3. The awardee will be provided with the physical facilities and administrative services required to conduct the research for which the grant is awarded.
4. The awardee is required to be a spokesperson for the ICRF and for cancer research, and will accept the role of speaking on behalf of the ICRF and using the title as appropriate in professional appearances and publications. Speaking appearances will be arranged to be mutually-convenient to the awardee and the ICRF.
5. If the awardee resigns, is discharged, is appointed to any administrative position (such as, but not limited to, department head or dean) retires, or dies, the ICRF will automatically void the award and terminate funding. Failure by the institution to notify the Fund of such occurrence will allow the ICRF to recover funds in toto.
The funds are to be used for actual direct expenses (salaries, supplies, etc.) connected with the project.
GrantWatch ID#: 164776
The Research Professorship is awarded for a maximum stipend of $50,000 per year.
The Research Professorship is awarded for a period of seven (7) years. In order to renew the award for another 7-year term (contingent upon the availability of funds), the current recipient will be required to submit a complete new Research Professorship application during the seventh year of the award, including a summary of progress, for the next review process and compete against other eligible candidates. If the current recipient is not selected once again, then the award will terminate at the end of the seventh funding year.
Awards will be activated September 1, 2019.
The applicant must be at the rank of Full Professor or equivalent and must have at least eight years of experience beyond the doctoral degree. With the exception of extraordinary circumstances, the applicant must be no less than five years from the usual and customary age of retirement at his or her institution.
Funds for cancer research are available to citizens of Israel, both native-born and those who have settled. Funds are not available to visiting scientists. (Proof of Israeli citizenship must be furnished upon request.)
Only one (1) grant application per person will be accepted for each submission deadline.
No overhead, clerical or other administrative charges can be made by the institution against the award funds. ICRF does not allow funds to be used for travel.
- Application Received by the Fund in New York: January 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM EDT
- Notification of Decision: July 1, 2019
- Activation of Award: September 1, 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register to apply on the online grants system:
Israel Cancer Research Fund
52 Vanderbilt Avenue, Suite 1510
New York, NY 10017-3834