Ontario Arts Council (OAC)
01/12/18 - The program is active between September 2017 and January 2018.
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to Ontario theater artists, groups, and collectives to develop new creative work. Funding decisions will be made by third-party theater companies. The program funds any type of artistic theater activity by eligible applicants.
Individual recommender theater companies may have priority areas of activity or applicants; see each theater company’s information when the program is active.
GrantWatch ID#: 164789
$1,000 - $5,000
Grants will be used for the proposed project within a maximum of two years from the date of the grant notification. The activities
cannot start before the recommender theater’s deadline;
cannot finish before you receive your grant results, up to six weeks after the recommender theater’s deadline; and must be completed no more than two years after you receive the grant results.
If you are applying as an individual or individual co-applicant, you must:
- Be a professional artist/arts professional,
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, or have an application pending for permanent resident status,
- Be a resident of Ontario who has lived in the province for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to applying to this grant program’s application deadline,
- Have a permanent physical address in Ontario, and
- Have lived in Ontario no less than 8 months in the last 12 months immediately prior to this grant program’s application deadline.
- Or, if you were temporarily absent from Ontario prior to this application deadline, your absence was no more than one year and is not recurring, and prior to this absence, you were a resident of Ontario who lived in the province for 12 consecutive months preceding this absence and had a permanent physical address in Ontario. During this absence, you maintained your residency status and a permanent physical address in Ontario and did not apply to public funding agencies/ministries of the jurisdiction of your temporary residence.
If you are applying as an ad-hoc group/collective, you:
- Must have a permanent physical address in Ontario,
- Must have 50% of its members residing in Ontario;
- Must be comprised of at least two members who are Ontario-based professional artists, artistic leaders or arts professionals, and who will be responsible for the administration of the grant on behalf of the ad hoc group/collective;
- Cannot be a corporation, and
- Can deposit a grant cheque in the name of the ad-hoc group/collective.
Who is not eligible:
- Non-professional applicants
- Employees or board members of the recommending theater organization, or immediate family members of staff or board members
- You cannot apply to this program if you have an overdue final report in any OAC grant program.
What this program does not fund:
- Creation of non-theater work – e.g. film, radio or TV, fiction, poetry, etc.
- Workshop costs
- Project grants are not meant to cover operating or ongoing expenses.
The program is active between September 2017 and January 2018. There are no deadlines in this program. Recommender theater companies will set their own schedules for review of applications.
Guide to OAC Project Programs:
This is a third-party recommender program. Applications are made to and funding decisions are made by the theater companies enrolled in the program. Follow your chosen recommender’s(s’) instructions for submitting the application, including providing required support material.
Applicants should review recommender’s priorities and websites to determine which recommenders are the best match for a particular project.
Searchable database of Recommenders for this program: http://www.arts.on.ca/grants/recommender-grants-for-theater-creators/recommenders-for-theater-creators
To apply, you need to submit:
- An application to the recommender theater company
- Artistic examples as required by the recommender theater company
You may receive more than one Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators grant in any one year, towards one project or for different projects. You may receive recommendations from more than one recommender in the same year.
Due to the number of applications received and the limited funds available, grants awarded may be smaller than the amount requested.
The activities for which you are requesting funding:
- Cannot start before the recommender theater’s deadline;
- Cannot finish before you receive your grant results, up to six weeks after the recommender theater’s deadline; and
- Must be completed no more than two years after you receive the grant results.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Nova Application Portal:
Lucy Gouveia, Program Administrator
Toll-free in Ontario: 1-800-387-0058 ext. 7432
Ontario Arts Council
121 Bloor St E, 7th Floor