Foundation / Corporation
Arts Council of Fairfax County
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to Fairfax County, Virginia nonprofit arts organizations for programs that promote the arts in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, and the City of Falls Church. Funding is intended to support projects, activities, and programming of both existing and new arts organizations, to improve the management of arts organizations, and to increase participation in local arts programs.
The purpose of the Organizational Professional Development Grants Program is to encourage the development and advancement of the arts in Fairfax County while serving the artistic and cultural needs of Fairfax County residents and their families.
Through the Organizational Professional Development Grant Program, ARTSFAIRFAX seeks:
- To provide support for established arts organizations and the development of new organizations;
- To promote opportunities for individual artists and arts organizations of all disciplines to create, present, and celebrate their artistic endeavors;
- To be a catalyst for increased private sector support for arts organizations through leveraged public funding;
- To encourage wide participation in the arts through diverse cultural programming available to all residents of Fairfax County.
Grant Program Description:
Organizational and Professional Development Grant Program grants are capacity building grants used to support eligible nonprofit arts organizations in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, and the City of Falls Church in developing the business aspect of the arts. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, staff training, strategic planning, board development, and financial management activities. Funding is intended to support both established and developing arts organizations.
Organizational and Professional Development Grants provide funding for:
- Professional development training or conferences
- Establishment of intern programs
- Facilitation of board retreats
- Consultant services
- Development planning
- Program evaluation
- Strategic planning initiatives
- Marketing, rebranding, and communications plan creation
- Technology updates, including new computers and software
- Financial management training
- Website design
GrantWatch ID#: 165363
$1,000 - $5,000
All activities supported by the Grant Program shall take place within the fiscal year for which the grant is awarded between July 1, 2018, and June 30, 2019. If the grantee will not be able to complete the project by June 30, 2019, an extension may be requested in writing 60 days before the end of the grant period and approved by the Grants staff. Projects must start in the grant period.
Organizational and Professional Development Grant Program grants are non-recurring grants.
An organization must:
- Be in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws; and
- Hold current or pending status under IRS code 501(c)(3); or
- Operate as a specifically defined arts division, or have its own arts program identity, within a larger nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
The organization or the division/program that is applying must have an address of record within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church and satisfy TWO of the following four criteria:
- Present at least 51% of public artistic activities within the geographical boundaries of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church;
- Meet, rehearse, exhibit, and operate within the geographical boundary of Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church;
- Have 51% of board of directors’ members work or reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church;
- Verify that 51% of attendees at performances, exhibits, events, and activities reside in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, or the City of Falls Church evidenced through acceptable statistical data including but not limited to ticket analysis, subscription data, box office surveys, and audience surveys.
An organization is eligible to apply if:
- It has as a core mission the creation, exhibition, presentation, production, or performance of and/or education in an arts discipline; and
- It has regular activity in a minimum of four different months in the year or 120 days of the year.
Funding will be given to applicant organizations that have qualified artistic or scholarly, administrative, and management leadership (either professional or volunteer) capable of completing any grant-supported activities, programs, or projects.
Applicants who plan to apply for a grant with a Fiscal Sponsor should contact the Foundation for instructions.
Grant funds may not be used for:
-Fundraising activities, such as capital campaigns or endowment campaigns;
- Construction or renovation projects;
- Political advocacy costs;
- Activities not open to the general public;
- Debt retirement;
- Proselytizing, promoting any one faith over another;
- Events that would be inappropriate for a diverse, multicultural and multigenerational audience;
- Pre-grant costs; or
- Operating expenses.
Free grant preparation workshops will instruct prospective applicants on how to complete an Organizational Professional Development Grant Program application and the online application system. Grant guidelines and the review process will also be explained in detail. ARTSFAIRFAX strongly encourages attendance by all potential applicants. An applicant’s attendance at a workshop will not affect the evaluation of the application.
A workshop will be held July 31, 2018. The workshop should run approximately 1 - 1.5 hours depending upon questions. It will be held at Tysons-Pimmit Library, 7584 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA. The workshop presentation will be made available on ARTSFAIRFAX’s website. For further information regarding location or directions, or individual assistance please contact Kimber Craine.
- July 31, 2018: Organizational and Professional Development Grant Workshop.
- September 5, 2018: Organizational and Professional Development Grant application deadline.
- October 24, 2018: Organizational and Professional Development Grant panel.
- December 2018: Organizational and Professional Development Grant announcement
Applications close at midnight on the due date.
ARTSFAIRFAX will notify applicants of final decisions in December, 2018.
Applicants are advised that there may be mandatory participation in research during the grant period. ARTSFAIRFAX may request grantees to participate in local, regional, or national arts studies. The studies may be related to, but are not limited to: audience spending, organization management, or facility usage and planning. Grantees are required to assist the ARTSFAIRFAX by completing these studies.
To begin the application process: https://artsfairfax.submittable.com/submit
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To submit the application:
Kimber Craine, Grants Manager
(703) 642-0862, ext. 6
FAX: (703) 712-8599
2667 Prosperity Avenue
Fairfax, VA 22031
USA: Virginia: Fairfax County