Foundation / Corporation
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Grants to USA and Canada nonprofit film societies, film festivals, and film-related organizations for curated screening programs. Funding is intended to support films that encourage underrepresented artists, promote movies as an art form, foster culturally diverse viewing experiences, and cultivate new and dedicated audiences for theatrical film.
Through the Grants program, the Academy seeks to:
- Promote diversity
- Bridge the opportunity divide
- Attract and engage broad new audiences for theatrical motion pictures
- Provide a platform for underrepresented artists, the full range of film genres, and a variety of viewpoints and approaches
- Encourage filmmaking as a vocation
- Illuminate less visible aspects of filmmaking and the film industry through scholarly research, presentations and discussions
The Academy considers programs that seek to:
- Nurture theatrical motion pictures in all categories and genres, including silent, ethnic (African/Latino/Asian/Native Peoples), LGBT, short, documentary, animated, and experimental films
- Provide underrepresented filmmakers greater access to audiences
- Engage and develop new and dedicated film audiences, especially those from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds
GrantWatch ID#: 165370
Grants awarded during this funding cycle are for programs that will be initiated and completed between April 1, 2018, and March 31, 2019.
Grants are available only to North America-based film festivals, film societies and other film-related organizations for curated screening programs. Grants must be used to support a specific program or program component.
Applying organizations must:
- Have nonprofit, tax-exempt status at the time of application
- Apply directly on its own behalf (fiscal sponsors for U.S.-based organizations are not allowed)
- Have a five-year history of programming
- Submit complete, punctual final reports for all Academy grants received, and maintain an excellent submission record (see below for details)
FilmWatch grants do not fund:
- Programming centered on the screening of any particular new film
- Competitions or awards programs
- The screening of works produced specifically for television or nontheatrical media, or events or programs that focus on such works
- Programs targeting children less than 12 years of age
- Parties, receptions, luncheons, tribute dinners or similar events; hospitality suites and services
- The development, production or completion of films
- Capital expenses
- Administrative, overhead or permanent staffing expenses
- More than 50 percent of a program’s cost (some exceptions for small programs)
- Individuals or for-profit companies or organizations
- Programs at any one institution for more than three consecutive years
An organization may apply for multiple Academy grants, but will be accepted for no more than one grant during a funding cycle. Parent and subsidiary organizations are considered a single entity.
Proposals must be submitted through the Academy’s online application system by December 1, 2017. The link to apply will go live in approximately early November.
All applicants will be notified (via e-mail) of their proposal status in March 2018. Funds will be distributed in March 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211
Telephone: (310) 247-3000
Facsimile: (310) 859-9619
Contact form: http://www.oscars.org/form/send-message
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon