Foundation / Corporation
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Grants to USA, Canada, and International nonprofits for educational programs that promote and encourage potential filmmakers from underrepresented backgrounds. Eligible programs are those that provide hands-on experiences for participants to obtain skills needed to enter the industry and tell their stories. Programs should encourage an appreciation of film as both a vocation and an art form.
Through the Grants program, the Academy seeks to:
- Promote diversity
- Bridge the opportunity divide
- Attract and engage broad new audiences for theatrical motion pictures
- Provide a platform for underrepresented artists, the full range of film genres, and a variety of viewpoints and approaches
- Encourage filmmaking as a vocation
- Illuminate less visible aspects of filmmaking and the film industry through scholarly research, presentations and discussions
Programs considered include, but are not limited to:
- Craft workshops, in which participants are trained in practical areas of filmmaking. Particular emphasis is placed on animation, casting, cinematography, costume design, editing, hairstyling, makeup, music, production design, set decoration, sound, visual effects, marketing and distribution.
- Artist-in-residence, visiting artist and seminar/conference programs, in which visiting film professionals work closely with participants in master classes or one-on-one sessions. Programs in which visiting artists participate only in post-screening Q&As or general audience presentations are not eligible.
- Training and bridge programs, in which participants are trained for and then placed in film industry jobs. Mentoring programs are eligible. Professional development programs that serve underrepresented populations will be considered.
GrantWatch ID#: 165371
Grants awarded during this funding cycle are for programs that will be initiated and completed between April 1, 2018, and March 31, 2019.
Grants are available to registered nonprofit organizations worldwide. They must be used to support a specific program or program component.
Applying organizations must:
- Have nonprofit, tax-exempt status at the time of application
- Apply directly on its own behalf (fiscal sponsors for U.S.-based organizations are not allowed)
- Have a three-year history of film-specific programs
- Submit complete, punctual final reports for all Academy grants received, and maintain an excellent submission record (see below for details)
FilmCraft grants do not fund:
- The development, production or completion of films, except in training or classroom settings
- Programs focusing on any aspect of television or nontheatrical media
- Programs targeting children less than12 years of age
- Activities related to the completion of a doctoral dissertation or any other endeavor for academic advancement
- Administrative, overhead or permanent staffing expenses
- Parties, receptions or similar events
- Capital expenses
- More than 50 percent of a program’s cost
- Individuals or for-profit companies or organizations
- Programs at any one institution for more than three consecutive years
An organization may apply for multiple Academy grants, but will be accepted for no more than one grant during a funding cycle. Parent and subsidiary organizations are considered a single entity.
Proposals must be submitted through the Academy’s online application system by December 1, 2017. The link to the application platform will go live in approximately early November.
All applicants will be notified (via e-mail) of their proposal status in March 2018. Funds will be distributed in March 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211
Telephone: (310) 247-3000
Facsimile: (310) 859-9619
Contact form: http://www.oscars.org/form/send-message
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.