Manitoba Arts Council (MAC)
02/01/18 Receipt or Postmarked
Grants to Manitoba nonprofit cultural organizations and galleries for juried show development and presentation. Funding is intended to support art shows from all visual arts disciplines, including performance, video, and film. While interprovincial and national projects are eligible, priority will be given to projects that focus on artists living and working in Manitoba.
- Open only to artists from a particular region in Manitoba
- Open to all residents of Manitoba
- Provincial in scope but defined by a theme or purpose
- Interprovincial or national in scope
- Artists’ fees
- Workshops, artist talks, or exhibitions by the jurors
- A publication related to the exhibition
- Jurors’ fees and costs
Assessment criteria include:
- Artistic merit of the project
- Participation of professional artists (as jurors, etc.)
- Demonstrated community support
- Evidence of planning and resources necessary to complete the project successfully
GrantWatch ID#: 165425
Grant amounts will be based on the scope of the project and the availability of funds. Project applicants may receive grant commitments of up to $30,000 in a fiscal year.
Creation/Production projects must be completed and a final report submitted within 18 months of the date on the letter of notification unless otherwise indicated in specific program guidelines.
Not-for-profit corporations registered in Manitoba who:
- Have completed at least one year of activity
- Have as a primary purpose the development and encouragement of art activity
- Have guidelines and procedures to ensure professional standards in the organization of the show
- Select professional jurors (at least one must live outside of the community of the eligible show)
- Present the exhibition to the general public
- Prepare a brochure or publication appropriate to the type of show
Organizations must be:
- Professional arts organizations
- Incorporated in Manitoba
- Based in Manitoba
- Operating as a not-for-profit
Professional arts organizations:
- Support, present, or produce the works of professional artists
- Are led by qualified professional personnel
- Are governed by a board of directors or an advisory body responsible for the organization
- Pay professional fees to artists
- Have been active in the province for at least one year prior to applying
- Have specialized training in at least one art form
- Are recognized by their peers as professional artists
- Can commit a significant amount of time to their artistic practice
- Have a history of professional public presentation or publication
- Staff salaries
- Operating and administrative costs
- Project costs incurred prior to the award notification
Generally, applicants may hold only one Manitoba Arts Council grant at a time.
Before applying, contact a program consultant to determine your eligibility and to ensure that you are applying to the appropriate program.
Applications must be received or postmarked by February 1, 2018. Hard copies of applications and funding agreements should be dropped off or sent by mail.
Project applicants are informed of funding decisions six to twelve weeks after the deadline date.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Mail or drop off applications to:
Manitoba Arts Council
525-93 Lombard Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 3B1
Office hours are 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday. Closed for lunch (12:30 - 1:30 PM). The main building doors are open from 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday to Friday. There is a 5th floor hallway drop-box for delivery of materials outside of business hours.