City of Lincoln Public Works and Utilities Department - Solid Waste Management Division
10/02/17 4:30 PM Electronic Receipt or Postmarked by Date
Grants of up to $40,000 to Lancaster County, Nebraska nonprofit organizations, schools, political jurisdictions and businesses for the implementation of waste reduction, reuse, and recycling programs. The purpose of this program is to significantly decrease the amount of waste destined for landfills.
The Solid Waste Management Division has identified two priority solid waste issues for this grant period. Preference will be given to projects focusing on one of these priorities:
1. Construction Waste Reduction, Reuse and Recycling
2. Waste Reduction, Reuse and Recycling in the Commercial Sector (businesses, industries, institutions, schools, and multi-family housing complexes)
Integrated Waste Management Hierarchy (most preferred to least preferred):
1. Reduction: Cleaner production, sustainable consumption, and prevention.
2. Reuse: Reusing waste in its current form.
3. Recycling and Composting: Processing waste to recover commercially valuable products.
4. Recover: Recovering energy from waste.
5. Residuals: Safe disposal in a landfill.
GrantWatch ID#: 165459
Organizations can request up to $20,000.
Grant must conclude within one year of the funding award.
-Political jurisdictions, schools, nonprofit organizations and businesses in Lancaster County are eligible to apply. Grants will not be awarded to individuals.
-All grant activity must be conducted within Lancaster County.
-Grant funds are not intended to replace existing funding.
-Funds cannot be used to pay contractors for the collection of waste or recyclable materials.
The following expenses shall not be reimbursed with grant funds:
1. Any expenditures incurred outside the grant period;
2. Paying contractors for recycling collection service;
3. Litter collection programs or beautification projects;
4. Entertainment (including food and drink expenses);
5. Recognition expenses such as prizes, plaques, awards, certificates or trophies;
6. Paying contractors for waste collection service;
7. Stand-alone waste only containers;
8. Promotional giveaways (including tote bags, mugs, pens, pencils, etc.);
9. Newsletters, brochures, calendars, etc. that are not exclusively devoted to waste reduction, material reuse, recycling, composting and other solid waste management topics; and
10. Travel expenses
Applicants must provide a minimum of 20% in-kind or cash match.
If mailed, grant applications must be postmarked on or before October 2; or submitted via fax or email by 4:30 PM on October 2.
Funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis.
-October 2, 2017: Grant Application Deadline
-December 31, 2017: Grant Awards Letters Mailed
Application Forms and Instructions:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Gene Hanlon, Recycling Coordinator
Waste Reduction, Reuse and Recycling Grant Program
Solid Waste Management Division
5101 N. 48th Street
Lincoln, NE 68504
Fax: (402) 441-8735
USA: Nebraska: Lancaster County