Evanston Arts Council
Grants of up to $2,000 and grants of up to $4,000 to Evanston, Illinois nonprofit organizations and individual artists for arts programs and projects that serve local residents, as well as operating support and capacity building. Funding is also available to support fine and performing arts projects by individual artists.
There are three granting categories in the Cultural Arts Program. Applicants may only apply for one grant and must specify the category. The categories are as follows:
Grants to Organizations – Funding is awarded to Evanston nonprofit arts organizations for operating support or capacity-building efforts. The maximum grant request is $4,000, although the actual grant award may be less than that.
Special Programs and Projects – Funding is awarded to nonprofit arts organizations for projects or programs that serve residents in the City of Evanston. The organization may be located outside Evanston, but the organization must clearly demonstrate that the program or project service area is within Evanston’s borders. The maximum grant request is $4,000, although the actual grant award may be less than that.
Individual Artist Projects – Funding is awarded to an Evanston artist for a specific public fine or performing art project. The artist must be a resident of Evanston to be eligible, and the project must occur within Evanston. The maximum grant request is $2,000, although the actual grant award may be less than that.
The applicant organization must comply with or be working toward compliance with the Diversity in the Arts Goals set by the Arts Council. The goals are to:
1. Promote diversity in gender, race, ethnic background, age, ability, and sexual orientation in the arts in Evanston.
2. Ensure that the cultural arts programs the Council supports reflect the diversity of the Evanston community.
3. Make the arts accessible to all people, including those with disabilities.
GrantWatch ID#: 166384
- Grants to Organizations: $4,000
- Special Programs and Projects: $4,000
- Individual Artist Projects: $2,000
All grant fund expenditures must be incurred between July 1, 2018 and April 30, 2019.
- Each applicant organization must be located in the city of Evanston and registered as a not-for-profit corporation with the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.
- All grant recipients are required to submit a written final report, due no later than May 31, 2019, as a condition of grant award.
- Any grantee not completing a grant as approved by the Arts Council will not be eligible to apply for a grant in the year following notification of unsuccessful grant completion.
- Organizations should place a high priority on community access. Wherever possible, grant applicant should demonstrate strategies for outreach to underserved or at risk members of the community.
- Applicants must comply with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and assure the Arts Council that no person will be excluded from participation or be denied the benefits of any program or service on the basis of sex, race, sexual orientation, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, or ability.
- All applicants are advised that litigation with or indebtedness to the City of Evanston may preclude the applicant’s ability to receive grant funds.
- Capital improvements or construction costs
- Organizations whose activities occur in non-accessible venues
- Purchase of permanent equipment
- Grants in excess of 25% of the organization’s prior year operating income
- An existing deficit from a previous year or project
- Activities not open to the general public
- Scholarships or fundraising events
- Personal expenses such as child care and unrelated wages lost due to proposed project commitment
- Applicants that submit incomplete applications
- Applicants that are taxing bodies
- Organizations that are not located in Evanston or whose project service areas are not Evanston
- Applications from non-arts organizations, including schools, churches, and social service agencies
There are two Cultural Fund Grant workshops that will take place in December. Attendees will receive general information and tips for applying to the grant and will have a chance to ask questions. Dates, times and locations are as follows:
- Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:00 PM in Room 2404 of the Morton Civic Center
- Monday, January 8, 2018 at 6:00 PM in Room 2404 of the Civic Center
- December 11, 2017: Grant Cycle opens
- January 4, 2018: 2:00 PM Cultural Funds Grant Workshop; Morton Civic Center Room 2404
- January 8, 2018: 6:00 PM Cultural Funds Grant Workshop; Morton Civic Center
- January 19, 2018: Draft Submission Deadline for Early Review
- February 9, 2018: Submission Deadline
- March 2018: Judging Panels meet - exact date TBD
- April 10, 2018: Arts Council allocates funds to grant recipients
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply for Grants to Organizations: https://arts.formstack.com/forms/cultural_fund_grant_program_application_organizations_copy
Apply for Grants for Special Programs and Projects: https://arts.formstack.com/forms/cultural_fund_grant_program_application_organizations_copy_copy
Apply for Individual Artist Projects Grants: https://arts.formstack.com/forms/cultural_fund_grant_program_application_individual_artists
Evanston Arts Council
2100 Ridge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201
USA: Illinois: City of Evanston