Evanston Arts Council
Grants of up to $5,000 to Evanston, Illinois nonprofit organizations for arts programs and projects that serve local residents, as well as for operating support and capacity building activities. Funding is intended to develop Evanston as an arts hub and destination by activating the assets of the community. Program areas can include dance, ethnic/folk arts, literature, media arts, multi-disciplinary, music, theater, and visual arts.
There are two granting categories in the Cultural Arts Program. Applicants may only apply for one grant and must specify the category. The categories are as follows:
- Grants to Organizations – Funding is awarded to Evanston nonprofit arts organizations for operating support or capacity-building efforts.
- Special Programs and Projects – Funding is awarded to nonprofit arts organizations for projects or programs that serve residents in the City of Evanston. The organization may be located outside Evanston, but the organization must clearly demonstrate that the program or project service area is within Evanston’s borders.
Organizations should place a high priority on community access. Wherever possible, grant applicant should demonstrate strategies for outreach to underserved or at-risk members of the community.
The applicant organization must comply with or be working toward compliance with the Diversity in the Arts Goals set by the Arts Council. The goals are to:
1. Promote diversity in gender, race, ethnic background, age, ability, and sexual orientation in the arts in Evanston.
2. Ensure that the cultural arts programs the Council supports reflect the diversity of the Evanston community.
3. Make the arts accessible to all people, including those with disabilities.
GrantWatch ID#: 166384
The maximum grant request is $5,000, although the actual grant award may be less than that.
All grant fund expenditures must be incurred between July 1, 2019 and April 30, 2020.
- Each applicant organization must be located in the city of Evanston and registered as a not-for-profit corporation with the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Any grantee not completing a grant as approved by the Arts Council will not be eligible to apply for a grant in the year following notification of unsuccessful grant completion.
- Applicants must comply with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and assure the Arts Council that no person will be excluded from participation or be denied the benefits of any program or service on the basis of sex, race, sexual orientation, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, or ability.
- All applicants are advised that litigation with or indebtedness to the City of Evanston may preclude the applicant’s ability to receive grant funds.
- Capital improvements or construction costs
- Organizations whose activities occur in non-accessible venues
- Purchase of permanent equipment
- Grants in excess of 25% of the organization’s prior year operating income
- An existing deficit from a previous year or project
- Activities not open to the general public
- Scholarships or fundraising events
- Personal expenses such as child care and unrelated wages lost due to proposed project commitment
- Applicants that submit incomplete applications
- Applicants that are taxing bodies (including schools, libraries, and park district)
- Organizations that are not located in Evanston or whose project service areas are not Evanston
A Cultural Fund Grant workshop will take place on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 4:00 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge, Room 2402. Attendees will receive general information and tips for applying to the grant and will have a chance to ask questions.
- February 1, 2019 - Grant Cycle opens
- February 27, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Cultural Funds Grant Workshop; Morton Civic Center
- April 1, 2019 - Submission Deadline
- May 4, 2019 - Judging Panels meet
- May 14, 2019 - Arts Council allocates funds to grant recipients
- May 19, 2019 - City Council approval of the allocation (Tentative)
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply for Grants to Organizations: https://arts.formstack.com/forms/2019_cultural_fund_grant_program_application_organizations
Apply for Grants for Special Programs and Projects: https://arts.formstack.com/forms/cultural_fund_grant_program_application_organizations_copy_1
Evanston Arts Council
2100 Ridge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201
USA: Illinois: City of Evanston