Grants of up to $10,000 to Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations, municipalities and municipal agencies, county conservation districts, and educational institutions for conservation and recreation activities that benefit residents in eligible regions. Applicants must attend a pre-application meeting or meet with staff prior to applying. Funds may be used for education, planning, and implementation projects located in the Lehigh Valley region (Lehigh or Northampton County).
The Lehigh Valley Greenways Mini Grant Program is a reimbursement grant program funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) and administered by the Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor (D&L). The purpose of the mini grant program is to inspire collaborative, strategic approaches to regional conservation and/or outdoor recreation opportunities and to implement ready-to-go, single-year projects that protect and promote the natural resources of the Lehigh Valley and advance the goals of Lehigh Valley Greenways.
Lehigh Valley Greenways Conservation Landscape Vision: Lehigh Valley communities are linked to greenways, trails, and outdoor experiences resulting in stronger local economies and improved public health, green infrastructure and natural resources.
Lehigh Valley Greenways Conservation Landscape Goals:
- Goal 1: Land Conservation & Restoration - Conserve critical landscapes, restore buffered stream corridors, and promote best management practices
- Goal 2: Outdoor Recreation & Trail Connections - Connect people to greenway and trail opportunities to promote healthy living, recreation, and the region’s green assets
- Goal 3: Community Revitalization – Support community revitalization through green infrastructure that enhances the quality of life
- Goal 4: Local Education & Outreach – Promote understanding of our natural environment and its benefits to our communities
2023 Mini Grant Program Priorities:
- (Municipalities) Adopt model ordinances and/or an official map to protect natural resources and improve bicycle/pedestrian connections
- Implement ecological restoration projects (ex. stream habitat improvements, riparian buffers, native grass/wildflower meadows, rain gardens, no-mow areas along streams and in public parks)
- Host educational events, trainings and workshops which involve an inclusive audience to advance the goals of Lehigh Valley Greenways
- Improve THE LINK, Lehigh Valley’s growing multi-use trail network (ex. close trail gaps, install safety and directional signage, create safe road crossings, add trail amenities)
- Incorporate climate change adaptation strategies into all relevant projects
Eligible project types are educational programs/workshops, special purpose studies, or implementation projects. Eligible projects should advance the Lehigh Valley Greenways vision and goals and be consistent with previously completed local, county, and regional plans such as open space, greenway, trail, recreation, comprehensive, watershed and/or rivers conservation plans.