Foundation / Corporation
Humanities Council of Washington, DC (HCWDC)
Grants of up to $10,000 to Washington, DC nonprofit organizations for humanities programs designed for youth. Funding is intended for programs that use humanities ideas to help youth better understand themselves and the human experience. The goal of the program is to provide tools to encourage youth to improve themselves and the world in which they live, and to produce confident, service-oriented leaders with increased communications and critical thinking skills.
This youth program grant is awarded to organizations providing humanities programs for youth ages 14-19 in the District of Columbia, based on the Humanities Council’s successful Soul of the City (SOTC) Program. HCWDC has presented SOTC for almost a decade to hundreds of young people. It emphasizes one of the Council’s core beliefs that effective leadership can be cultivated through a curriculum that combines humanities concepts with skill building. SOTC encourages young people to view their city, their country and their world in new ways and prepares them for leadership.
GrantWatch ID#: 167745
Up to $10,000
The grant period shall not exceed one year.
The grantee must certify that it is a “group” defined as “any state or other public agency, and any nonprofit society, organization, institution, association, museum, or establishment in the United States, whether or not incorporated.”
The grantee shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment, to be employed in the performance of this agreement, with respect to his hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment or any matter directly or indirectly related to employment.
- No funds from this grant will be used to pay indirect costs commonly referred to as overhead unless specifically authorized by HDC in the approved budget.
- No funds from this grant will be used to purchase permanent equipment unless specifically authorized by HDC in the approved budget.
- No funds from this grant will be used to pay the costs of any alcoholic beverages, entertainment, social activities, coffee and other refreshments, or any related activities.
- No funds from this grant will be used to pay the costs of any meals aside from the necessary travel expenses of program personnel reimbursed under an official travel policy.
- Necessary travel expenses will be allowed at a rate not to exceed 50 cents per mile for privately owned automobiles and reimbursement for actual expenses other than mileage. Such expenses must be reasonable and may be disallowed if excessive. If necessary, air travel will be allowed, but must be at economy or coach rates, if available.
- Any portion of grant funds to be used for the duplication of one thousand or more copies of materials or for any printing costs must be specifically authorized in your award budget.
On Thursday, February 7th, there will be a 2019 Soul of the City Grants Webinar. Learn more about how to become eligible for this year’s SOTC program this summer.
Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Event Categories: Call To Action, Grant Workshops, Humanities Events, Public Programs
Final applications due first Friday in March. Submit applications online.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/common/logon.aspx?urlkey=wdchumanities
If you think that you or someone else in your organization may have previously applied for a grant from Humanities DC, please notify:
Louis Hicks, Director of Grants and Special Projects
1140 3rd Street, NE
Washington, D.C. 20002
USA: Washington, DC