Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) - Turnaround Office
01/18/19 4:00 PM
Grants to Connecticut local education agencies on behalf of low-performing K-12 public schools to improve campus amenities and educational quality. Funding is intended for repairs, technology, improvements, equipment, and alterations that address school site opportunities. This program promotes the health, safety, and learning of all children in high-quality facilities and 21st century educational environments.
Funding and Uses of Funds:
Public Act 15-1, July Special Session, §13(i)(2) authorizes “grants-in-aid to assist targeted local and regional school districts for alterations, repairs, improvements, technology, and equipment in low-performing schools.”
Recognizing that other sources of funding exist for general facility improvements, consideration for this award will be evaluated primarily in support of K-12 student learning-related outcomes. Uses of funds for Pre-K projects and programs are ineligible for consideration under this grant application.
Eligible expenditures are for prospective work, including:
1. Building alterations that directly support student learning (e.g., science lab, classroom reconfiguration).
2. Technology for instructional or learning use (excludes stand-alone software and licenses).
3. Furniture, fixtures, and equipment to support student learning (note that supplies are ineligible).
GrantWatch ID#: 168683
LEAs may submit an application requesting up to $250,000 if the school has not received a Low-Performing Schools Bond award since July 2015. If a school has received a Low-Performing Schools Bond award since July 2015, the application may be submitted for an amount not to exceed $125,000.
Funding awarded through this grant application process must be expended by June 30, 2020.
Applications will be accepted from LEAs on behalf of their low-performing schools.
For purposes of this program, a low-performing school is a designated Commissioner’s Network, School Improvement Grant (SIG), Category 4 or 5 designated school (including Charter Schools) located in a state-designated Alliance District municipality. School category classifications will follow the assignments published in the 2016-17 CSDE School Categories report. LEAs must submit a separate application for each school they wish to have considered.
Low-Performing Schools bond funding shall not supplant nor overlap with other grant funding sources, including but not limited to:
- State School Construction Grant Program (including, but not limited to: new construction, portable classrooms, roof replacements, or projects with a primary purpose of ensuring code compliance);
- State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Grants-in-Aid to Alliance Districts (capital bond funds);
- School Security Grants;
- CSDE High Quality/Common Core Technology Grants;
- Programmatic funding including that from Alliance District ECS Grants, Priority School District Grants, Commissioner’s Network, and SIG 1003(a), 1003(g) and/or ESSA federal grants; and/or
- Funds which support standard operating expenses, stand-alone equipment or technology requests, or expendable supplies.
All applications must be submitted no later than 4:00 PM on January 18, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Connecticut State Department of Education
450 Columbus Boulevard
Hartford, CT 06103