Foundation / Corporation
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network
09/30/18 5:00 PM
Grants to Michigan K-12 public and private schools for nutrition and physical fitness programs and activities to enhance school health across the State. Funding is intended to support curriculum programming, training, purchase of equipment, lunchroom funding, and classroom education on physical activity and healthy eating.
The Building Healthy Communities Step Up for School Wellness program provides students, teachers and administrators with the training, curriculum, equipment, funds, communication tools and external coaches needed to create a healthy school environment that supports a culture of wellness.
Program goals for participating schools:
- Build or re-energize a School Health Team
- Assess the school health environment using the Healthy School Action Tools
- Empower students to make healthy choices that include fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grains and lean protein every day
- Empower students to be more physically active every day
- Evaluate, sustain, expand and share successful implementation strategies
The Step Up for School Wellness Program offers a choice of components:
- Classroom education on nutrition and physical activity (lessons and access to a full health curriculum)
- Physical education (curriculum, training, and equipment)
- Physical activity (recess equipment and interactive online physical activity breaks in the classroom)
- Healthy eating (healthy smoothies using an industrial food service blender, lunchroom funding and coaching, healthy parties and celebrations)
- School environmental assessment (Healthy School Action Tools)
- Sustainability (continuous access to online tools and resources)
The program is flexible to meet the diverse needs of school buildings across the state. Each school will need to determine which resources are a good fit for their individual building. Program Resources are divided into two Focus Areas, because balancing healthy eating and physical activity is important. Successful schools have an interested and supportive School Health Team that agrees on the chosen resources. There are three ways to join the program:
- New schools (those that haven’t participated in Building Healthy Communities) that have a School Health Team and are ready to implement multiple improvements are required to include at least two resources, one from each Focus Area, in their application.
- New schools (those that haven’t participated in Building Healthy Communities) that don’t have a School Health Team and aren’t ready to implement specific resources are still welcome to apply for the program. This option will support schools in exploring their current school health environment by completing an assessment, developing and implementing an action plan and setting the foundation for future improvements.
- Returning schools (those that previously participated in Building Healthy Communities Step Up for School Wellness program) will have the opportunity to add one or more new resources to their building to enhance their environment and build on their successes.
The 2 Focus Areas are as follows:
- Focus Area 1 - Physical Activity and Physical Education Resources (Classroom Physical Activity Breaks, Active Recess,
Quality Physical Education, Walk–n–Run Fun, Healthy Out-of-School Time)
- Focus Area 2 - Health Eating and Nutrition Education Resources (Healthy Smoothies, Smarter Lunchrooms, Healthy Parties and Celebrations, Nutrition Education, Healthy Out-of-School Time)
GrantWatch ID#: 168918
Program implementation begins October 22, 2018.
Any public, charter or private nonprofit school in Michigan serving any grade levels, K-12 (any elementary, middle or high school), is eligible to apply for the program regardless of their:
- Free and reduced-price school meals percentage
- Geographic location
- Participation in other school wellness grants, programs or initiatives
Schools that have already participated in a Building Healthy Communities program aren’t eligible to apply unless the school specifically participated in the Building Healthy Communities Step Up for School Wellness program. Building Healthy Communities Step Up for School Wellness program schools are eligible to apply as a returning school to add one or more new resources to their building.
An informational webinar will take place at 10 a.m. on September 12, 2018. To register: http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/events/webinars/event/614
After registering, the applicant will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to join the webinar.
Applications are due September 30, 2018, for the 2018-2019 school year. Applications are to be submitted online.
- September 12, 2018 Informational webinar at 10 a.m.
- September 30, 2018 Applications due by 5 p.m.
- October 22, 2018 School awards announced
- October 22, 2018 Program implementation begins
All schools, will be informed of their status via email by October 22, 2018. This email will be distributed to all School Health Team members listed in the application.
Upon filling out the application, Returning Schools (who have participated in the program in the past) should choose resources that are new to their school.
Selection will be based on a school’s readiness. School readiness will be determined by the existence of a School Health Team that is committed to participate in the program, carry out the required components within the stated timeline and sustain the program for the future. Schools will be selected to participate based on eligibility and available funding.
For questions about the program or application process, email the Program Coordinator, Deb Grischke.
For more information: http://buildinghealthycommunities.arewehealthy.com/
For application information: http://buildinghealthycommunities.arewehealthy.com/usefullinks.aspx
For the May 1, 2018, Informational Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBd9iJBkr2E&feature=youtu.be
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For the online application and registration:
For questions, email: