Saint John Community Arts Board - City of St. John
03/28/19 4:00 PM Receipt or Postmarked
Grants ranging from $500 to $3,500 to Saint John, New Brunswick nonprofit organizations to provide operational support for creative arts programming. Funding is intended to encourage organizations to improve their arts services and implement quality arts activities in a variety of disciplines.
The City of Saint John believes that one of the most effective means of facilitating the development of arts and culture in Saint John is to provide funding support to non-profit arts and/or cultural organizations serving the community. In this way, arts and culture organizations are encouraged to establish themselves, enhance their services, and provide their programming to the community. Accordingly, the City through the Saint John Community Arts Board has implemented the Community Arts Funding Program. This Program is designed to provide project support for non-profit organizations or groups wishing to offer quality arts activities in any discipline of the creative arts within the City of Saint John.
The Community Arts Funding Program provides financial support in two categories:
- Project/Activity Funding - Arts-related projects, activities, events or initiatives (including a series of activities or events) that are primarily participatory, actively engage the public, are educational in nature, or that develop the arts in the community.
- Arts Festival Funding – Preparation and presentation of one-day or multiday arts festivals, major arts events, or arts celebrations.
The applicant must also demonstrate organizational capacity and good management practices, including programming, finances, and human resources. Other practices will also be taken into account - such as: event attendance; audience development; community and business support; cultural diversity; funding; human resources; partnerships; public accessibility; and strategic planning.
GrantWatch ID#: 170186
Program grants will normally range between $500 and $3,500 (or between 10% and 40% of your total project/festival budget).
Any non-profit organization whose primary purpose is the presentation, promotion, or education of the visual, performing, literary, media, or material arts in Saint John, and that wishes to undertake arts-related projects or activities of benefit to the community, is eligible to apply.
An organization that has previously received Program funding and that has not complied with funding requirements (e.g.: failed to submit a post-event report to the Board) will be deemed ineligible.
The following are examples of applicants and/or projects/activities that are not eligible for funding:
- Building or equipment purchase, lease, renovation or repair;
- Funding that is primarily for the benefit of an individual;
- For-profit organizations;
- Organizations that fund other projects/festivals;
- Retroactive funding (without prior approval of the Board);
- Deficits or debts;
- Free or discounted tickets;
- Fundraising events;
- Fellowships, scholarships, or bursaries;
- Contributions to an endowment fund;
- Conferences or professional development; and
- Non-specific operating expenses.
Applications must be received or postmarked no later than 4:00 pm on Thursday, March 28th 2019.
Two members of the Executive or Board of the applicant organization must sign the original application.
Please include the name of the applying organization in the subject line and name all attachments appropriately.
Applicants will normally be notified of the adjudication results by writing within 45 days after the application deadline.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Completed applications and all supporting documents must be sent to:
Arts and Culture Coordinator
Community Arts Funding Program
c/o Arts and Culture Coordinator
Growth and Community Development Services
City of Saint John
10th floor, City Hall
Saint John, NB
For further information or assistance, please contact:
Art and Culture Coordinator, City of Saint John
Canada: New Brunswick