Foundation / Corporation
The Chicago Community Trust - African American Legacy (AAL)
Grants ranging from 5,000 to $10,000 to Metropolitan Chicago, Illinois grassroots organizations to enhance the quality of life for African Americans. Funding is intended for programs focusing on mental health, immigration, social justice, and youth entrepreneurship. Projects and operating support will be funded.
The Chicago Community Trust awards grants throughout the six-county Chicago region, which includes Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will Counties.
AAL engages African Americans in philanthropy, collectively and individually, and provides support to grassroots and nonprofit organizations working on the ground to solve community problems.
The African American Legacy will support grassroots organizations with a programmatic focus on the following areas:
- Social justice: Education and training of youth activists
- Immigration: Policy and systems change and direct service specific to those of the African diaspora
- Mental health: Responding to street, gun, and police violence
- Youth micro-entrepreneurship
GrantWatch ID#: 170392
Grants will range in size from $5,000 to $10,000. The grant amount will not exceed more than 30% of an organization’s operating budget.
Grants are for one year.
- Organizations that are considered Black led, Black serving, and grassroots, whose work is focused on any one of the four programmatic areas are eligible to apply. Please note that while organizations do not have to have 501c3 status, they must have a registered fiscal agent to apply. The fiscal agent will need to be identified on the application.
- Applicants must be grassroots organizations (Annual budgets of $50,000 - $2.5M)
Application deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Site visits: May through to July 2019
Notification of decisions: Letters of notification will be sent from the Trust by September 2019.
No organization shall have more than one active grant or grant request with The African American Legacy at a time. Grants or grant requests made through The Chicago Community Trust are separate from those made through The African American Legacy. Therefore, organizations can make grant requests to both AAL and the Trust at the same time.
General grant overiew information: https://cct.org/grants/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://cct.smartsimple.com/s_Login.jsp
Assistant Director of Donor Services
313 616-8000 x157
The Chicago Community Trust
225 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 2200
Chicago IL 60601
USA: Illinois: Metropolitan Chicago (six-county Chicago region, which includes Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will Counties)