Awards to Pennsylvania individuals, groups, or libraries throughout the state to recognize significant contributions to the cause of libraries. A broad range of awards are available in categories that include, but are not limited to, elected officials who support libraries, new librarians, and library trustees.
The Awards presented are:
1) Distinguished Service Award: Highest award the association gives. It may be awarded annually to one person in recognition of exceptional meritorious service to libraries of the Commonwealth.
2) Certificates of Merit: These are awarded to individuals making outstanding contributions during the last five years in Pennsylvania.
3) Elected Official Award: This award may be given annually to an elected official or officials for exemplary support of library service in Pennsylvania.
4) New Librarian Honors Award: Honors a librarian who has been in the profession fewer than six years. It recognizes the originality and inventive ability of a new librarian who devises new and improved methods in library service on a statewide or local level.
5) Trustee of the Year Award: Presented to a public library trustee in recognition of outstanding leadership and service to library development at the local, system, district, and/or state level.
6) Library Support Staff Recognition Award: This award is presented to a library that has consistently encouraged and supported participation in career development activities, particularly those of PaLA for the support staff in Pennsylvania libraries. Nominations should be in the form of a statement of the library’s activities.
This award is presented to a library, not to a staff member. Nominees should consider:
- Does your library provide you with opportunities to develop your library skills through continuing education opportunities?
- Does your library allow you to attend PaLA conferences and Chapter Meetings as a Support Staff member?
- Does your library provide you with opportunities to take classes on library-related activities or in areas which you can use on the job?
- Tell us how that support helps you on your job and give a little recognition to your library.
7) PaLA President's Award: Recognizes unique achievements by an individual, group or organization in support of libraries and library services in the state of Pennsylvania. This award is only given upon recommendation of the President and the Awards Committee with the approval of the Board of Directors.