Colorado Department of Education
07/11/18 11:59 PM
Award to a Colorado PreK-12 teacher in a state-approved or accredited school for excellence in the teaching profession. An eligible teacher is one who inspires excellence in his or her students, builds bridges of collaboration between the school and the community, and demonstrates innovation and leadership.
The Colorado Teacher of the Year acts as:
- A liaison between the teaching community, Colorado Department of Education, school districts, and communities;
- An education ambassador to businesses, parents, service organizations, and media;
- A resource on the state of the profession to be available for workshops and conferences around the state; and
- An education leader involved in teacher forums and education reform and activities.
The Colorado Teacher of the Year is also expected to attend national events such as the National Teacher of the Year Ceremony. In addition, the Teacher of the Year attends education meetings, conferences, and workshops around the state.
Because the Teacher of the Year is invited to attend events and participate in speaking engagements during the year, they must be poised, articulate, and have the energy to make and withstand a busy schedule. Colorado’s Teacher of the Year is also put forward as Colorado’s nominee for the National Teacher of the Year competition.
GrantWatch ID#: 170866
The candidate must be a dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teacher in any state-approved or accredited school, kindergarten through grade twelve, who is planning to continue in an active teaching status. (Supervisory and administrative responsibilities should be of secondary consideration.)
The Colorado Teacher of the Year candidate must have the respect and admiration of their colleagues and:
1. Is an expert in their field who guides students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence;
2. Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success;
3. Deliberately connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community at large;
4. Demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning; and
5. Expresses themselves in an engaging and articulate way.
- Application: due no later than 11:59 PM, Wednesday, July 11, 2018
- Review: by July 2018
- Interview: August/September 2018
- Site visit: September/October 2018
- Announcement: November 2018
- National Teacher of the Year application submitted: November 2018
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Nominate a teacher online by June 11: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/COTOY_nominate
Apply online: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2019CTOY
Kim Burnham, Office of Competitive Grants and Awards
Patricia Gleason, Office of Competitive Grants and Awards