Foundation / Corporation
Grants to Greater Richmond area, Virginia nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that enhance the quality of life for local children and youth. For the purposes of these grants, the Greater Richmond area includes the counties of Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, and Henrico, and the City of Richmond.
Funding will specifically be provided for programs and projects that promote educational opportunities for children, youth leadership, and/or children's healthy living.
*PLEASE NOTE: In even years (2018, 2020, 2022…) the Foundation is only accepting grant requests that support Children's Healthy Living activities. If your organization promotes Children’s Healthy Living, please write your proposal seeking 1 year of funding support. If the grant request is approved and you fulfill your grant objectives, the Foundation hopes to renew your funding a second year. You will not have to submit a new proposal next year to be considered for renewal!
In odd years (2019, 2021, 2023…) the Foundation will accept proposals supporting Youth Education and Youth Leadership for a two-year partnership.
The Carmax Foundation supports programs in the following areas:
- Arts education
- Career exploration
- College preparation
- Cultural arts programs
- Dropout prevention
- Financial Education
- Literacy and language arts
- School readiness programs
- Science, technology, engineering, and math
- Special needs education
- Support for students with special needs
- Teacher training
- Tutoring and academic support programs
2. Youth Leadership:
- Character development
- Leadership training and development
- Service learning and volunteering
3. Children's Healthy Living
- Healthy lifestyles
- Nutrition programs
- Obesity prevention
- Youth sports, recreation, and camps
GrantWatch ID#: 171746
The Carmax Foundation is Unable to Support:
- Requests for the donation of vehicles
- Business ventures or requests for loan or debt retirements
- Organizations that limit membership and services based on race, religion, color, creed, gender, age, or national origin
- Organizations that conflict with the CarMax Auto Superstores' mission, goals, programs, or products
- Fraternal, athletic, or social clubs
- Labor and political organizations or campaigns
- Requests for general operating support, capital campaigns, endowments, event sponsorships, or scholarships
- Organizations categorized by the IRS as a church, convention, or association of churches
Application Process for the Home Office Program:
Step 1: Review guidelines to determine if your program meets all application requirements.
Step 2: Submit preliminary online proposal between September 1 and October 15.
Step 3: Nonprofits will be notified in January if they will be invited to submit a full proposal.
Greater Richmond Area: Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, and Henrico counties, and the City of Richmond
USA: Virginia: Greater Richmond, Virginia-area