Foundation / Corporation
10/10/18 2:00 PM Receipt
Grants of up to $32,000 to Ontario nonprofit performing arts organizations to host internships for the professional development and training of production staff, artists, and administrators. The Foundation supports internship opportunities for administrators, composers, choreographers, conductors, curators, designers, directors, playwrights, and production staff.
The Internships program invests in the sector by increasing the number of better positioned cultural leaders and arts workers who advance the field through gainful and sustainable employment.
The internships are designed to encourage the sharing of the rich experience and specialized knowledge that exists throughout the sector. Individuals who complete internships should have more knowledge, better skills, broader work experience, and useful contacts – all of which will help them gain meaningful and sustainable employment while making a strong professional contribution to the performing arts.
The program also encourages arts companies to reaffirm their commitment to the future by providing formal opportunities for mentoring and training. It is the Foundation's hope that organizations will realize opportunities to foster leadership and respond to skill shortages in critical areas.
GrantWatch ID#: 171775
Internship grants will be made for the intern’s complete salary and statutory benefits to a maximum of $32,000 for a full-time, year-long internship.
For internships that are part-time or of shorter duration, this amount must be pro-rated based on the following maximums: $2,666/month or $615/week. For questions regarding an hourly rate, please contact the Performing Arts Program Director.
Grants will support full-time or part-time internships; they will cover twelve-month internships as well as those of shorter duration. Internships must be a minimum of eight weeks in duration.
Internships funded in Round 1 must be completed by December 31, 2019, and in Round 2, by March 31, 2020.
Applicants to this program must:
- Be professional theater, dance, music, or opera companies;
- Be based in and active within Ontario;
- Have a minimum of three years of organizational/production history;
- Have a current, valid charitable registration from the Canada Revenue Agency;
- Identify the intern in the application.
- Organizations may apply individually or in partnership with others.
- Internships must be a minimum of eight weeks in duration.
- Internships must take place in the province of Ontario.
- Internships funded in Round 1 must be completed by December 31, 2019, and in Round 2, by March 31, 2020.
- Co-op work terms, or any other component of an intern’s educational degree, are not eligible for funding.
Funds granted from this program may only be used for an intern’s salary and statutory benefits (CPP and EI costs). No other costs, including mentoring costs or fees, external professional development, or administrative overhead, are eligible for this grant.
- Application Deadline: April 11, 2018, 2:00 PM
- Grant Notification: June 22, 2018
- Application Deadline: October 10, 2018, 2:00 PM
- Grant Notification: December 20, 2018
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact the Performing Arts Program Director to discuss their proposals in advance; new applicants or those who last applied more than two years ago are encouraged to arrange an in-person meeting with the Director, the mentor, and the intern.
To view a September 2015 webinar discussing the common pitfalls of unsuccessful applications and how to make your proposal stand out in a competitive round:
To view a March 2014 webinar giving a broad overview about applying to this program:
For pointers on creating the video portion of your application:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit applications by email to:
Heather Dunford, Grants Manager
P: 416-926-0366 x 233
38 Madison Avenue