Foundation / Corporation
U.S. Masters Swimming (USMS) - Swimming Saves Lives Foundation (SSLF)
07/31/17 Online Receipt
Grants of up to $5,000 to USA nonprofits, universities, municipalities, and for-profits for programs that provide adult swimming lessons. Funding is intended to advocate and raise awareness about the benefits of swimming and to provide resources for programs providing adult learn-to-swim lessons.
- Priority consideration will be provided to grant applicants that have an existing Masters Swimming program in place or a willingness to offer a Masters Swimming program so that adults who learn to swim or improve their swimming ability will have an opportunity to continue swimming.
- Priority consideration will be given to programs that have adopted the USMS Adult Learn to Swim curriculum and have at least one USMS-certified ALTS instructor.
- Priority consideration will be given to applicants that have participated in an April is Adult Learn-to-Swim Month activity or similar program.
GrantWatch ID#: 172184
The amount and number of grant awards for 2017 will be determined in the summer, based on member contributions.
The maximum grant award an applicant may receive is $5,000.
The grant funding may be used during the 2018 calendar year. Grant recipients may apply for a grant renewal.
Applicants will be asked to select if they are one of the following:
- Nonprofit with a tax ID from the IRS,
- University-owned, or
SSLF will not consider grant requests that are directed at individuals or groups that are not eligible for membership in USMS (for example, all program participants must be 18 years old or older in order for a program to be eligible for a grant).
Please note the following:
Learn-to-swim is a covered activity by USMS insurance, provided the following conditions are met:
- If awarded a grant, the grant entity will be required to register as a USMS club or workout group. Registering as a club or workout group ensures USMS liability insurance is extended to the grant entity, as long as the steps below are also taken. The cost to register as a club or workout group is $25, plus a Local Masters Swimming Committee (LMSC) fee that may range from $0-$75.
- The individuals associated with the grant entity, meaning the applicants and those teaching the lessons, will be required to register as members of USMS*. Registering ensures that the individuals are covered by USMS insurance.
- Participants in the learn-to-swim or swim improvement program must be USMS members or sign the 30-day guest USMS membership to satisfy the insurance requirement. If the adult learner continues lessons after the 30-day guest membership period, he or she must register with USMS in order for the insurance to remain in effect.
- Each instructor may directly supervise no more than three students.
*The cost of individual USMS membership for 2018 is $43 without adding in the Local Masters Swimming Committee fee. LMSC fees vary from $4-$21. Click here for more information about USMS membership: http://www.usms.org/reg/
Completed grant requests must be received by July 31, 2017.
The SSLF board of trustees will announce grant winners at a meeting open to the public at 1:15 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, at the USMS annual meeting in Dallas, Texas. Grant applicants may attend the meeting.
In October and November, USMS will reach out to those selected to receive a grant. Grant recipients will be required to sign a grant agreement with USMS, show that the grant entity is registered as a 2018 club or workout group, and show that individuals providing the learn-to-swim lessons are 2018 registered members of USMS.
Grant recipients and participating instructors must be USMS members or sign the 30-day guest USMS membership to satisfy the insurance requirement. See Additional Eligibility above for more information.
Priority consideration will be provided to grant applicants that have a matching contribution.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming