Foundation / Corporation
Williamsburg Community Foundation (WCF)
01/16/19 - For Spring Grants: Community Endowment Grants, Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts, and An Occasion for the Arts grants
Grants of up to $5,000 to Virginia nonprofit organizations for community benefit activities in Williamsburg, James City County, and York County. Funding is intended for programs in the areas of arts and culture, senior services, environment and conservation, children and young adults, and community health and wellness.
Special attention will be given to projects that have a broad community benefit, that will provide enrichment or enhancement to the lives of residents, and/or that demonstrate the potential benefit of an innovative program to the community at-large.
Grant priorities reflect the following five specific areas of interest:
Arts and Culture - Programs supported include:
- Increasing access to the arts through performances in varied locations, discount ticket prices, and opportunities to reach diverse audiences.
- Public art and free performances in public locations.
- Increasing the management capacity of arts organizations though staff and volunteer training or planning grants.
Children and Young Adults - Programs supported include:
- Early childhood development.
- Positive youth development through after school and summer enrichment programs.
- Educational and therapeutic programs to enrich the quality of life for children and young adults with special needs.
- Protecting children from abuse and neglect.
Environment and Conservation - Programs supported include:
- Programs that educate the public about our local environmental resources.
- Programs to promote the preservation and conservation of natural resources.
- Programs that promote the recreational and therapeutic use of our natural resources.
- Programs that engage local residents in our key physical resources.
Community Health and Wellness - Programs supported include:
- Programs that improve the quality of life for lower income residents.
- Educational and therapeutic programs that enable adults with low literacy and special needs to more fully participate in community life.
- Direct support through local nonprofit providers for specific wellness needs, i.e. healthy meals, housing, transportation, etc.
- Support for other aspects of community life that improve wellbeing for area residents.
- Support for veterans and their families.
Senior Services - Programs supported include:
- Programs and services that help older adults stay informed, healthy, and engaged.
- Programs that increase the capacity of local organizations to support senior citizens who wish to age in place.
- Respite care or support groups for families of those with Alzheimer’s or other disease that requires home care services.
Grant opportunities are also available in the following special categories:
Community Endowment Grants:
- Support for a diverse range of philanthropic purposes including the arts, civic affairs, community development, conservation, cultural activities, education, historic preservation, social services and other fields that benefit citizens in its service area, which encompasses Williamsburg, James City County and York County.
- Special attention to projects that have a broad community benefit, that will provide enrichment or enhancement to the lives of residents and/or that demonstrate the potential benefit of an innovative program to the community at-large.
- Grants up to $5,000
Fund for Women and Girls:
- Established by Stephanie and Bob King to support programs for women and girls in need in the greater Williamsburg area.
- Supports programs for women and girls
- Preference given to programs that assist low income women and girls
- Grants up to $1,000
Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Transportation Grants:
- Established by the Estate of Benjamin Altshuler to make transportation accessible and affordable enabling all residents of the area to participate in community life
- Supports programs which provide transportation including public transportation
- Preference for programs assisting low-income residents and those without ready access to a car
- Programs may support alternative transportation initiatives (i.e., bike paths, etc. with a matching gift up to $5,000)
- Grants up to $5,000
- Note: Organizations are only eligible to receive three consecutive years of transportation funding. They must wait for at least a year before applying again. Call the WCF office (757-259 1660) if you have questions regarding eligibility.
Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Amateur Sports Grants:
- Provide financial assistance to amateur sports programs, with a preference for wrestling, but also in other athletic programs that are not readily available to the public (i.e. fencing, lacrosse, boxing, marksmanship, crew, etc.). Wrestling programs must be part of the Bay Rivers District, or private schools (nonprofits) within the service area of the Bay Rivers District.
- Funds may be used to support tuition assistance, scholarships to players, expenses for officials, and/or for equipment and uniforms. Funds may not be used to support hotel rooms, travel or coaches, salaries.
- Preference will be given to applications which support low to moderate income children and youth.
- Grants up to $5,000
Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts:
- Established by Linda and Donald Baker and Michael McGiffert to support vocal performances for adults.
- Supports vocal music performances intended for a primarily adult audience
- Grants up to $1,500
An Occasion for the Arts Fund:
- Established by An Occasion for the Arts.
- Supports programs in visual arts such as drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, print making, ceramics, jewelry making, metal crafting, wood working, and glasswork. Preference for programs with positive community impact.
- Grants up to $1,200
Applicants may apply for a Community Endowment grant and/or one of the others above. Generally, an organization will receive only one grant in a year.
GrantWatch ID#: 172243
- Community Endowment Grants: Up to $5,000
- Fund for Women and Girls: Up to $1,000
- Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Transportation Grants: Up to $5,000
- Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Amateur Sports Grants: Up to $5,000
- Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts: Up to $1,500
- An Occasion for the Arts Fund: Up to $1,200
Multi-year grants or commitments will not be made.
The Foundation will make grants to those organizations within its service area that are qualified as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) by the Internal Revenue Service or other organizations considered public charities by virtue of their mission. The services of these organizations must be consistent with and advance the mission of the Foundation. The applicant must provide a copy of its IRS determination letter to the Foundation.
The Foundation will not make grants for:
- Applications for unspecified use of funds
- Retroactive funding for any project expenses incurred before the Foundation’s decision date
- Multi-year grants or commitments
- Religious purposes (but may be made to religious organizations for projects with a broad-based, inclusive community benefit)
- Political or partisan purposes
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, or national origin.
The Williamsburg Community Foundation has two grant rounds, fall and spring. Awards are announced in April and October.
The spring grant deadline is January 16, 2019 at noon. Only applications completed on-line will be accepted.
Community Endowment Grants, Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts, An Occasion for the Arts grants
Application Available: Mid-November, 2018
Deadline: January 16, 2019 at noon
Awards Luncheon: Mid-April, 2019
Community Endowment, Williamsburg Fund for Women and Girls, Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Transportation grants
Application Available: Mid-May, 2019
Deadline: Mid-July, 2019
Awards Luncheon: Mid-October, 2019
Altshuler Amateur Sports Grants
Application Available: Mid-May, 2019
Deadline: Mid-September, 2019
Awards announced in December
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply for a Community Endowment Grant:
Apply for a grant from the Genevieve McGiffert Memorial Fund for the Musical Performing Arts:
Apply for a grant from An Occasion for the Arts Fund:
Williamsburg Community Foundation
1323 Jamestown Road
Williamsburg, VA 23185
USA: Virginia: Williamsburg, James City County and York County