North Dakota Department of Commerce, Division of Community Services (DCS)
Grants of up to $50,000 to North Dakota nonprofit organizations and community housing development organizations to increase the quality and availability of affordable housing in low-income communities. Funding may be requested by qualifying organizations for the purpose of producing and rehabilitating rental units.
Federal requirements target assistance to families whose Median Family Income (MFI) does not exceed 80% MFI in a given area (as defined by HUD Section 8 income guidelines). Further income targeting and rent controls are required when assisting rental housing units.
GrantWatch ID#: 172469
No CHDO may receive more than $50,000 per year.
HOME-assisted rental units must be occupied by income-eligible households within 18 months of project completion.
1) Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO)
- Eligible applicants include community-based nonprofit 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), or 905 (subordinate organization of a 501 (c) organization) organizations with the mission statement that identifies decent, affordable housing to low and moderate-income persons.
- The DCS designates nonprofit organizations that meet defined criteria as CHDOs. A CHDO is defined in the HOME Investment Partnerships Program Final Rule Subpart A, s92.2.
2) Nonprofit Organizations
- Nonprofits can participate in the HOME Program as owners or developers of multi-family housing. The nonprofit must not be disqualified from any program administered by DCS or under debarment, proposed debarment or suspension by a federal agency.
- The nonprofit must be able to demonstrate technical expertise of staff and other project partners in housing production and management.
Applicants new to the HOME Program are required to partner with an experienced developer, sponsor, or consultant (i.e., someone with completed projects and operating successfully).
Please see the program guidelines (attached below) for more information about eligible project sponsors and developers.
Submission of the CHDO and Non-profit Application(s) are due by September 30, 2017.
Due to available funds, a second round of applications will open January 8, 2018. Applications are due to DCS February 16, 2018. Eligible projects will be funded on a first come first served basis.
Projects are required to have 25% match for the funds they receive, and CHDO projects must have a minimum of 10% owner equity invested in the project.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Shantel Dewald, CDBG/HOME Program Administrator
Tran Doan, HOME Program Manager
Genevieve Giese, HOME Program Administrator
North Dakota Department of Commerce
1600 E. Century Ave., Suite 2
Bismarck, ND 58503
USA: North Dakota