Foundation / Corporation
Open Meadows Foundation
08/15/18 12:00 Midnight EST
Grants of up to $2,000 to USA, Canada, and International nonprofits for projects that promote racial, gender, and economic justice. Funding is intended to support programs that benefit, and are directed by, women and girls. Eligible programs focus on activism, political change, and empowerment. Small and start-up organizations are given priority, and preference is given to first-time applicants.
Grants are offered to projects that:
- Are designed and implemented by women and girls;
- Reflect the diversity of the community served by the project in both its leadership and organization;
- Promote building community power; and
- Have limited financial access.
Examples include projects focused on: Standing Rock, boycotts, marches, the creation of new activist organizations, labor rights, community organizing, voting rights, environmental activism, economic rights, and other forms of political action encouraging participation by women and girls for women and girls.
In addition to the general fund, Open Meadows has three special funds, which follow the guidelines of Open Meadows, but also are targeted to specific groups and/or for specific activities. Each fund is described below.
Jeanne Meurer Indigenous Women's Fund grants projects related to issues concerning indigenous women. The definition of indigenous is: "Being a member of the original inhabitants of a particular place."
The Ellen Dougherty Activist Fund for Young Women grants to young women 19 and under who propose to develop and lead projects that are focused on activism and social change.
The Edie Windsor Fund for Old Lesbians supports projects developed by lesbians age 60 and older concerning lesbian rights and activism.
GrantWatch ID#: 172504
Requests should not exceed $2,000.
- USA organizations must have tax exempt status or a fiscal sponsor that is tax exempt under 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). For international proposals, a copy of the organization's registration is required.
- Only Organizations with a total income less than $75,000 are eligible.
- Open Meadows only accepts one proposal from an organization at a cycle. If the request is for more than one project, neither project will be considered.
1) Organizations with a total income greater than or equal to $75,000
3) Endowments, loans, capital campaigns
4) Religious and/or faith-based institutions or programs that include religious activities
5) Events that will have happened before the letter deadline of the cycle (see Calendar)
6) General operating expenses (proposals must be project-specific)
7) Film and video projects will be considered only after the film/video is complete.
10) Public or private educational institutions
11) Local, state, and national governmental agencies
12) For-profit businesses
Proposals will be reviewed in two cycles:
- For the Spring Cycle, only proposals received between 12:00 midnight EST January 1 to 12:00 midnight EST February 15 will be reviewed.
- For the Fall Cycle, only proposals received between 12:00 midnight July 1 to 12:00 midnight August 15 will be reviewed.
After decisions have been made, emails will be sent to the Contact Person for each proposal the week of May 1st for the February 15th deadline or the week of November 1st for the August deadline notifying you whether or not you will receive funding.
Proposal cover sheet: https://sites.google.com/site/openmeadowsfoundation/Appllication/proposal-cover-sheet
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Create a single pdf with all required accompanying materials and email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Meadows Foundation
PO Box 150584
Brooklyn, NY 11215
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.