Foundation / Corporation
First 5 Sonoma County
01/15/18 3:00 PM
Grants to Sonoma County, California nonprofits, businesses, and public agencies for programs that promote the development and support of children ages 0 to 5 and their families. Eligible programs are those that focus on the areas of children's health and development, family support, early child care and education, integrating systems and effect policy change, and community engagement.
The Foundation will fund programs within the following goals:
1) Ensure the Health and Healthy Development of Children
- Increase the availability of high quality, accessible heath care for children
- Increase early detection and intervention for developmental concerns
2) Ensure Families Are Supported and Nurturing
- Increase support for parents to strengthen their parenting capacity
- Increase support for parents to strengthen their family’s literacy skills
3) Ensure That Early Care and Education Is High Quality
- Increase the availability of high-quality early care and education
- Increase the capacity of early care and education providers to link their client families to appropriate health, mental health, substance abuse, and developmental services
4) Increase Integration of Systems and Effect Policy Change to Fill Gaps and Better Serve Children and Families
-Increase implementation of successful strategies to reduce iron deficiency anemia through collaboration with community partners.
- Increase the community’s capacity to address children’s oral health needs through collaboration with community partners
Family Support Systems:
- Reduce child abuse and neglect through collaboration with community partners to identify, improve, and sustain high-quality intervention and support for families with substance abuse, mental health, and domestic violence issues.
- Increase family economic self-sufficiency and reduce the impacts of poverty on children 0-5 through collaboration with community partners.
Early Care and Education Systems:
- Increase parents’ engagement as partners in education and increase families’ connection to related resources
- Increase alignment and articulation between early care and education and K-3
- Identify and increase institutionalization of successful school readiness strategies and programs
- Increase alignment of systems of academic advancement for early care and education providers in Sonoma County through collaboration with community partners
- Advocate for policies and programs that increase children’s ability to develop to their fullest potential
5) Engage Entire Community to Support Achievement of First 5 Sonoma County Goals
Increase the awareness of parents and the community about:
- The needs of children 0-5 and their parents and caregivers
- Activities to support the optimal development of children 0-5
- First 5 Sonoma County and the nature and value of services/programs provided by its grantees and community partners
- Increase behaviors that support optimal child development through social marketing
- Engage the community to implement projects that support First 5 Sonoma County goals by providing mini- and matching grants
- Inform and engage the private sector to understand and value the high return on investments in early childhood
GrantWatch ID#: 172906
Applicants who have previously received five years of funding may reapply on an annual basis for up to an additional five years.
Applications will be accepted from:
- Nonprofit or public organizations
- Community groups working under the umbrella of a public or private corporation
- Private businesses and corporations
Matching Grant dollars may not be used for individual stipends or scholarships.
There are two application periods each year for Matching grants: June 1-July 15 and December 1-January 15. Awards are made available contingent upon the availability of sufficient funds in the Mini and Matching Grant funding pool.
Please plan for a minimum of 90 days between the date of submitting an application and the completion of a contract approving the start of project activities.
Matching Grant applicants must demonstrate commitment of a cash match from a public or private source external to their organization in an amount equal to or exceeding that which is being requested from the Commission. Release of matching grant program funds is contingent upon the receipt, or written commitment, of funding from another source.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Cathy Passmore, Administration
Phone: (707) 565-6612
First 5 Sonoma County
Sonoma County Department of Health Services
490 Mendocino Avenue, Suite 203
Santa Rosa CA 95401
USA: California: Sonoma County