Foundation / Corporation
Community Foundation of Howard County
07/31/18 11:59 PM
Grants of up to $2,000 and grants of up to $5,000 to Maryland nonprofits that provide human services, arts and culture, environment, and education programs to Howard County residents. Funding is intended for smaller nonprofits, first‐time applicants, and time-sensitive projects.
The Mini‐Grants Program is ideal for smaller nonprofits, projects that are time‐sensitive, first‐time applicants, nonprofits less than five years old, school enrichment programs that are not funded through the district budget, and nonprofits not eligible for grants through the Community Grant program. The program’s rolling deadlines and streamlined evaluation process enables the Foundation to assist organizations in meeting the community’s most critical needs.
The Mini-Grant program provides funding in the following categories:
These may be one-time or ongoing programs or extracurricular activities designed to enhance Howard County Public School students’ learning, not covered by the HCPSS budget. The project budget cannot exceed $50,000. The amount awarded will be up to $2,000.
These may be small-scale purchases that meet a critical organizational priority or for technology enhancements. Small scale purchases that meet a critical organizational priority or for technology enhancements. The project budget cannot exceed $50,00, the amount awarded will be up to $2,000.
This may be for board or staff education, program evaluation, shared training resources or collaborative planning efforts with other organizations. The project budget cannot exceed $50,000, the amount awarded will be up to $2,000.
This may be for an established program, to adapt a proven program to a new situation, discover whether an approach is viable, or that help enhances an organization’s mission. The project budget cannot exceed $100,000. The Award Amount will be up to $5,000.
This is unrestricted income to help an organization carry out its goals without imposing requirements to develop activities that directly attribute to the grant. The operational budget cannot exceed $200,000. The amount awarded will be up to $5,000.
GrantWatch ID#: 173084
Enrichment Programs: Up to $2,000
Equipment Purchases: Up to $2,000
Organizational Improvement: Up to $2,000
Project Support: Up to $5,000
Operational Support: Up to $5,000
Funding must be used within 12 months from receipt of award.
The Foundation considers grant applications from organizations:
- Determined as charitable under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or other entities that meet IRS charitable guidelines;
- Delivering services to Howard County residents in the areas of human services, arts and culture, education, environment or community affairs;
- Providing programs and services to the intended beneficiaries without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or military status, pregnancy, ancestry, age or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, county or local laws, regulations or ordinances;
- With operating budgets of $200,000 or less or project budgets of $100,000 or less; and
- If previously funded through one or more of the Foundation’s grant programs, applicants must be up‐to‐date on all post-award reporting requirements.
Government agencies will not typically receive mini‐grants, although they may be involved as partners in funded efforts.
The Mini‐Grant program does not award grants for:
- Capital campaigns
- Debt retirement
- Expenses already incurred
- For‐profit entities
- Medical research
- Political organizations or campaigns
- Private foundations
- Programming that promotes religious instructions or doctrine
- Seed money or start‐up funding
- Supporting organizations
Mini‐Grant applications are accepted via the online application portal. To be considered, a complete electronic application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on the due date.
Due Date: February 28
Notification Date: March 31
Due Date: July 27
Notification Date: August 31
Applications received via mail or email will not be considered.
Typically applicants are notified of grant decisions approximately 60 days after each due date and Grantees receive funds approximately 30 days after submitting signed Terms and Conditions.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=howardcounty
Tracy Locke-Kitt,Program Officer
Community Foundation of Howard County
10630 Little Patuxent Parkway
Century Plaza, Suite 315
Columbia, MD 21044
USA: Maryland: Howard County