Noxious Weed Trust Fund (NWTF) Grant Program

Grants to Montana Communities and Educators
for Weed Control Research and Elimination

GrantWatch ID#: 173458
Agency Type:


Montana Department of Agriculture


Request a Grant Writer

Grants of up to $75,000 to Montana individuals, communities, educators, and researchers for research, education, and local initiatives related to weed control. Research and education applicants should contact their respective coordinators to discuss and collaborate on projects.

Specific project types:

- Research projects may include chemical, non-chemical, biological, and integrated approaches to weed control. Creative proposals for investigating new weed management techniques are encouraged. Research proposals from agricultural experiment stations and the cooperative extension service for crop weed management research, evaluation, and education may be submitted for funding consideration.

- Education/Development projects include mapping, monitoring, planning, and education.

Local Cooperative projects (continuing and new) involve on the ground treatment of noxious weeds and require the participation of a minimum of three adjacent landowners. Participating landowners must have a committed dollar amount for the acres to be treated prior to application submission. Project area landowners will develop a cooperative weed management area, map noxious weeds in the project area, and develop long-term weed control plans.

Local Cooperative project areas must be part of a county or tribal noxious weed management plan and a current county weed management plan must be on file with the Department of Agriculture. Tribes may submit or reference management plans from the county where they are located, multiple county plans, or their specific tribal weed management plan.

Grazing Projects
All sheep/goat grazing projects are required to consult with the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department (FWP) prior to project implementation due to possible conflict in areas associated with bighorn sheep or predators (i.e., grizzly bears and wolves); special preventative action and caution must be taken with grazing projects. If bighorn sheep, grizzly bears, or wolves are observed in or near your grazing project area, FWP must be notified immediately.

Applicants meeting the requirements may request special funding:

Special General Funding dollars are available to help mitigate the impact of noxious weeds on private lands as a result of the activities of the MT Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks. Examples of areas impacted by FWP activities include: wildlife grazing and wintering areas, recreation areas, and waterways.

Cooperative Forestry Assistance Funding dollars are available to help manage private, tribal, and non-federal public land noxious weed infestations. Requested funding must focus on state-listed noxious weeds, and the project must be within an established Weed Management Area on private, tribal, and/or state lands in areas associated with federal lands with an active weed management program.

The project area must have 10% forest cover or be lands with infestations adjacent to or associated with weed threatened forested lands.

Up to $75,000

Requested funds should be planned for use within one year.

- Researchers

Grant applicants collaborate with an organization, such as those listed below, that will administer the grant and serve as the recipient for funding reimbursements from the NWTF:

- County weed district
- Tribal weed district
- Extension service
- Educational institution
- Conservation district
- Other established organizations

December 1, 2016 - Applications due for FY17 Noxious Weed Trust Fund Grants
February 27 - March 3, 2017 - Noxious Weed Trust Fund Grant Hearings, Helena
April 15, 2017 - Status Reports due for Noxious Weed Trust Fund Grants

Research projects: Matching funds are not required for research projects but can be included in budget information. In-kind matches or forgone indirect costs can be noted in the application.

Applicants are requested to contact the State Biological Control Coordinator at 406-258-4223 to discuss and collaborate on biological control components of the project.

Education/Development projects: Matching funds are not required for education/development grants, but are encouraged. In-kind match can be noted in the application.

Applicants are requested to contact the State Education Coordinator at 406-444-9491 to discuss and collaborate on educational components of the project.

Local Cooperative projects are required to have a minimum of 50% hard match for commercial application, herbicide, and revegetation costs. Projects are funded only if matching funds are available from grantees. All matching funds that are part of another government cost-share program must be specifically outlined in the grant proposal.

Applicants selected for funding will be notified approximately three weeks after the NWTF grant hearings.

Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.

To apply, go to

Dave Burch, Weed Program Manager
Montana Department of Agriculture
(406) 444-3140

Carol Bearden, Weed Program Specialist
(406) 444-7880

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601

See the full text of this grant

USA: Montana

Live Chat with a Grant Specialist

Our team of researchers and grant specialists review hundreds of funding resources daily to make sure provides members with the most up-to-date grants.

We have grants for:


Need help?

Hi, I would love to guide you through the site.
Please feel free to call or write.

Customer Sales & Support (561) 249-4129