Foundation / Corporation
Winona Community Foundation (WCF)
Grants of up to $10,000 to Minnesota and Wisconsin nonprofits and government agencies to improve the quality of life in the Winona region. Applicants must contact Foundation staff prior to submitting an application. Focus areas include health, social services, environment, civic or education issues, arts, and culture. Organizations may be located in Winona or within a 15-mile radius of Winona into Wisconsin.
Projects should be consistent with Winona Community Foundations goals and priorities, including food, shelter, health, and additional benefits to the community at large.
Technical assistance will be included in all of the above areas for the general improvement of community nonprofit accountability and organizational effectiveness.
Grant proposals from nonprofits that contain the following are sought for this competitive review process:
- Focus is open to the needs of the community.
- Result from clear assessment or identification of needs in the area.
- Engage sectors of the community in collaborative efforts to meet increased needs.
- Design a plan that has realistic sustainability options after WCF support has ended.
- Identify clear and attainable community outcomes that are measurable.
Specifically, the following criteria will be used in screening, review and evaluation of WCF applications:
- Focus Area: Open to the needs of the community.
- Need or Impact: Need of the community for the project or service, organizational need for assistance to be able to make the project a reality. How the funding will directly and indirectly impact the community.
- Collaboration: An assessment of the overall collaborative effort of the project to pool resources with other area organizations or resources to make the program or service a reality.
- Sustainability: The ability of the organization to maintain such a program after initial establishment if applicable, and/or the stability of organization, financially and organizationally, to manage and complete the project. Project budget will be used.
GrantWatch ID#: 173611
The maximum grant award will be $10,000.
Funding will be granted only to private and public nonprofit agencies that are under a 501(c)3 status, have an appropriate fiscal sponsor with 501(c)3 status, or a government entity.
Churches and religious organizations may apply for support for activities that benefit the larger community, but not for activities that have a specific religious purpose.
Consideration will only be given to projects or agencies that have not yet received funding from the WCF Community Grants program in the past 12 months.
Non-profits or projects must be within Winona, or within a 15-mile radius of Winona into Wisconsin and or otherwise serve community needs.
- Organizations with past due or incomplete grant report forms
- Applications that have not been previously discussed with Foundation staff to verify eligibility – no cold proposals will be accepted
- Requests from individuals for support
- Loans, debt retirement or debt financing
- Political campaigns
- Fraternal organizations or orders
- Projects with a specific religious purpose
- On-going staff positions not specific to a particular grant project
- Capital development campaigns – a capital campaign which is organized to collect and accumulate substantial funds to finance major construction or renovation of buildings (*exceptions may be considered if eligible)
- Endowment campaigns
- Fundraising or event sponsorships
- Completed projects
- No cold applications will be accepted; prior project review with Foundation staff must take place.
- Grant awards require matching funds from sources other than an organization’s operational budget.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis by Foundation staff throughout the year, until the allocated granting budget has been awarded. Deadlines are March 1st, June 1st, and September 1st.
Grants are reviewed the 4th Tuesday of the deadline month. 4th quarter will be announced if funds are available.
More Information and FAQs:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For more information, or to set up an appointment, please contact Jeni Arnold, Grants Coordination at 507-454-6511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winona Community Foundation
51 East 4th Street
Winona, MN 55987
USA: Minnesota: Winona or within a 15-mile radius of Winona; Wisconsin: Within a 15-mile radius of Winona, MN