Foundation / Corporation
Valentine Foundation - Valentine Fund for Visionary Leadership (VFVL)
Grants to Southeastern Pennsylvania nonprofits primarily serving women and girls for staff leadership training. Applicants are strongly encouraged to join an application teleconference on June 19, 2017. Funding is intended to give leadership training opportunities to women executives from the nonprofit sector. The purpose of the VFVL is to strengthen the organizations that improve the lives of women and girls in the Greater Philadelphia region by:
- Making current women leaders more effective,
- Developing the next generation of women leaders, and
- Fostering a community of women leaders.
The Valentine Fund for Visionary Leadership understands the characteristics of leadership apart from management and executive authority to include:
- Demonstration of innovation (takes initiative, is not risk averse).
- Credibility (knowledge of issues from the standpoint of content and policy. Demonstrated capacity for strategic synthesis of knowledge and practice).
- Demonstration of the capacity to influence others with or without the formal authority or title.
- Demonstration of the capacity to respect followers, promote their voices, and protect their interests.
- Exhibition of generosity: Share knowledge, share power, share resources in the interest of an aim.
- Demonstration of life decisions and actions that are consistent with a set of core values/core ethics.
- Demonstration of effectiveness. Achievements, even if modest, that reflect intelligence, creativity, vision, advocacy, and a healthy balance of outrage and optimism.
The following examples of strategies, programs and approaches are provided as a source of ideas but are not intended to limit thinking about the best way to achieve the unique leadership development objectives of each proposed leader or emerging leader and each specific organization.
Examples of Leadership Development Initiatives:
1. Conferences and or workshops that are part of a larger leadership development strategy
2. Training and or coaching either brought in-house or provided externally
3. Courses or certificates offered by local colleges and universities that are directly related to building leadership capacity/characteristics, not merely content or field knowledge
4. Succession planning
5. NELI (Nonprofit Executive Leadership Institute at Bryn Mawr College Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research): Certificate for Executive Leaders or Certificate for Ascending Leaders - http://www.brynmawr.edu/neli/
6. The Non Profit Center at La Salle University: Leadership Development options including CLEAR Circles for Executive Directors and Emerging Leaders - http://www.lasallenonprofitcenter.org/
7. Leadership Philadelphia - http://www.leadershipphiladelphia.org/
GrantWatch ID#: 173712
A total grant pool of $20,000 - $25,000 will be awarded to one to five successful applicant organizations.
Nonprofit organizations with paid staff operating in Southeastern Pennsylvania whose primary focus and mission-driven activities serve to benefit women and/or girls either through direct service, advocacy, public policy or capacity building are eligible to apply for funding from the Valentine Fund for Visionary Leadership.
Consistent with Valentine Foundation’s commitment to support organizations whose primary focus is improving the lives of women and girls, applicant organizations must serve at least 85% female (including transgender) population, OR have a program that serves 100% women and/or girls. If the organization is eligible because it has a program specifically for women and/or girls, then any individual leader/s who benefit from this grant funding must have an active role within or responsibility for said program.
The VFVL seeks t0 support both current and emerging women leaders and will accept nominations for an individual or a group from the eligible organization’s management team. Board members may be included in groups only if the group also includes staff members.
No Valentine Foundation funds are awarded directly to individuals.
The Fund for Visionary Leadership is not intended to support tuition associated with academic degree programs.
There will be an informational teleconference call on Monday June 19, 2017 from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM.
The session is intended to address issues of eligibility and assist applicants in preparing and submitting a proposal.
You are strongly encouraged to join this session if you are considering submitting an application for 2017 funding. If no one from your organization is available to join this session, you may submit any questions via email to the address in Contact Information.
Conference call access number for the teleconference session: 1-866-244-8528
2017 Valentine Foundation Leadership Fund applications will open June 1, 2017 and close July 15, 2017. Funding will be granted in November of 2017.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
Alexandra V. A. Frazier, Executive Director
409 Merion Hill Lane
West Conshohocken, PA 19428
USA: Pennsylvania: Southeastern Pennsylvania/Greater Philadelphia Area