Foundation / Corporation
Lake Region Arts Council (LRAC)
Grants of up to $6,000 to West Central Minnesota small nonprofit arts organizations to support general operating costs. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Funding Source before applying. Eligible organizations serve the counties of Becker, Douglas, Clay, Grant, Pope, Stevens, Otter Tail, Traverse, and Wilkin.
The total amount requested may be allocated between the four funding categories listed below, adding up to 100% of the funding request.
A) Basic 0perating support grants: rent, insurance, utilities, publicity, postage, etc. Proof of previous utilities expenses is required, statements or invoices acceptable.
B) Administrative support: salaries, consultant fees, contracted workers etc.
C) Capital expenditures: purchase of equipment: water heater, lighting and sound equipment, tables and chairs, etc.
D) Building projects: construction, purchase, and renovation of buildings.
GrantWatch ID#: 174002
Grants may cover up to 10% of the applying organization's most recently completed fiscal year’s actual expenses, up to $6,000 maximum.
To be eligible for funding, the grant applicant (arts organization) must:
1. Have the fine arts as its primary focus.
2. Be a nonprofit arts organization with Articles of Incorporation on file with the State of Minnesota.
3. Be located in the LRAC nine-county region; Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin counties.
4. Have been in existence and have actively programmed arts events for at least three years.
5. Have a 501(c) 3 tax‐exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service.
6. Submit a complete and accurate application, providing all requested information. The financial information must be accurate, detailed and appropriate to the proposed use.
7. Have a Board of Directors that meets on a regular basis.
8. Have their most recently completed year’s actual operating expenses less than $166,000.
9. Have 60% of the programming be focused on the arts, must have 60% of the total operating expenses dedicated to arts activities and arts-related expenses.
10. Be able to demonstrate the high quality of arts products, services, or activities they provide and their impact on the community.
11. Give a specific intent for the funds to be granted. If requesting funding for utilities, provide proof of previous year’s utility expenses with statements or invoices.
12. An organization receiving LRAC Project Grants may apply for LRAC Operating Support.
13. Have a current year profile in the Cultural Data Project and granted CDP Funder Report “View Report” status to LRAC.
Applicants not eligible for funding:
1. Any organization whose primary focus is not the fine arts.
2. Any organization already receiving Operating Support Funds from the Minnesota State Arts Board or Operating Support from the McKnight Foundation is not eligible to apply for LRAC Operating Support. However, McKnight Operating Support grantees are eligible to apply for LRAC Project Grants. Call the LRAC office if you have questions.
3. Schools, universities, public radio and television stations, libraries, museums, civic organizations (such as chambers of commerce and other community service agencies), churches, religious organizations, or units of government.
4. Any organization, which has a final or mid‐term report overdue or not approved by the LRAC staff from past LRAC grants.
The LRAC cannot consider an application for an Operating Support grant if any of the following conditions exist:
1. The organization is a recipient of General Operating Support Funds from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
2. The organization is a recipient of Operating Support from the McKnight Foundation.
3. The applicant has final or mid-term reports overdue or not approved by LRAC staff from past LRAC grants.
4. The application is not complete and accurate, providing all requested information.
5. The request is from an organization that promotes religious backgrounds, faiths or beliefs or the event is designed essentially for the religious socialization of the audience.
6. The request is for an individual instead of an organization.
7. The fine arts are not the primary emphasis of the applicant organization.
8. The request is to reduce or eliminate accumulated deficits.
9. LRAC operating support funds may not be used as a match for other LRAC grants.
10. The organization's activities are for "members only". Organizations must provide for significant community involvement.
11. The organization or its activities promote a particular political agenda or beliefs.
Applicants are encouraged to attend the grantwriting workshop prior to submitting a grant application.
The grant writing workshop is scheduled for Tuesday, November 28, 2017. For the updated information, contact the Council or check the link at the bottom of the page:
Applicants are encouraged to contact the LRAC office early in the planning process so the staff can provide assistance.
Applications are due online by midnight on January 9, 2018. Grant review will be on February 20, 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Betsy Ostenson, Grants Manager
Historic River Inn
133 South Mill Street
Fergus Falls, MN 56531
USA: Minnesota: Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse, and Wilkin counties