Foundation / Corporation
The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina (CFWNC)
09/15/17 5:00 PM
Grants ranging from $4,000 to $30,000 to Western North Carolina nonprofit organizations and government agencies in Haywood, Buncombe, and Madison Counties for programs to improve local streams and rivers. Funding is intended to support projects and activities that provide direct benefits to at least one of the following focus areas:
- Improved surface water quality
- Enhanced fish and wildlife management and habitats
- Expanded public access
- Increased citizen’s awareness about their roles in protecting these resources.
Preparation of river management plans and watershed studies, as well as the acquisition of conservation easements, shall be considered to provide direct benefits.
Applications should address the following:
- Support efforts to assess water quality issues in streams or watersheds that are identified as priorities in the Counties watershed action plans.
- Promote collaboration or coordination on projects that address comprehensive issues and will have a long-term impact.
- Encourage education and awareness of water quality issues preferably focused on helping individuals understand how their actions relate to the overall health of the river basin.
- Install water quality BMPs or other stream improvements that are part of a coordinated multi-faceted effort and will result in significant improvement in water quality.
The foundation gives lower priority to the following:
- Scattered projects (including demonstration BMPs or other projects) not related to a coordinated effort to improve priority streams/watershed in that community.
- Government agency operating support, especially staffing.
- Projects related to regulation enforcement which is the responsibility of the government.
GrantWatch ID#: 174116
Grants will range from $4,000 to $30,000.
Grants are typically for one year.
Tax-exempt organizations described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal RevenueCode and governmental entities are eligible to apply for these grants.
PRF grants should leverage other funds or in-kind resources toward total project costs. If the project is/will be ongoing, PRF funds should only be a resource for start-up/pilot or a specific time-limited component of a larger project. Applicants should have plans for sustainability beyond the PRF grant for on-going projects.
Grant funds may be used to support “administrative costs” including a share of staff costs when directly related to accomplishing the PRF-related project.
PRF grant funds are not appropriate for any projects and activities related to or in support of litigation in any administrative or judicial forum
Applications are considered twice a year with complete applications due to The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina by 5:00 PM on March 15 and September 15, with funding decisions announced within 2 months.
Prior to submitting an application, you are encouraged to discuss your proposal with the Pigeon River Fund staff. You will be advised about what activities may be appropriate for Pigeon River Fund support and key points to address in your application.
PRF grants should leverage other funds or in-kind resources toward total project costs.
For a tutorial to help with the online application go to http://www.screencast.com/t/vqaw2tb1
The online application should be completed by the deadline date. If the deadline date is on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is 5:00 PM the next business day.
All applicants will receive notification of the receipt of their application (by email) and next steps in the review process within two weeks after the grant deadline.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online here: http://www.cfwnc.org/Nonprofits/OnlineGrants.aspx
Tara Scholtz, Senior Program Officer
For assistance with the online application:
Diane Crisp, Grants Manager
The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina
4 Vanderbilt Park Drive, Suite 300
Asheville, NC 28803
USA: North Carolina: Haywood, Buncombe, and Madison Counties