Foundation / Corporation
Ottawa Community Foundation
10/01/18 5:00 PM Receipt - for one-year grant requests. Multi-year grant letters of intent are due December 1.
Grants of up to $10,000 for one year and grants of up to $24,000 per year for multiple years to Ottawa, Ontario nonprofit organizations to enhance the quality of life for local communities. Applicants requesting multi-year support are strongly encouraged to contact program staff prior to applying.
The CGP funds initiatives in the following broad areas: social services, arts and culture, education, environment, health, and animal welfare.
Projects must do one or more of the following:
- Benefit the Ottawa community, improve the quality of life for its residents, and help to foster a strong, positive and caring community;
- Use a community development approach to build on the assets and strengths of the community in order to respond to evolving issues and emerging priorities;
- Address the root causes of identified local issues and work on long-term solutions in an effort to achieve systemic change;
- Cultivate collective action within the community (i.e. through a shared vision for change, coordinated activities, joint data collection and results measurement, the coordination of participating organizations, etc.);
- Take a creative or unique approach to tackling community issues (e.g. through the method of service delivery, engagement of community partners, role of community members, etc.);
- Help to build the capacity of individuals, organizations and communities.
In accordance with the principles and commitments of the Foundation, the Grants Committee pays close attention to whether and how proposed projects incorporate diversity and inclusion. The Committee also takes into account applicants’ resources, capacity and options for fundraising and marketing, to ensure that funding reaches capable organizations that may have more limited scope in these areas.
GrantWatch ID#: 174121
One-Year Grants: These grants range in size, but the majority are $10,000 or less.
Multi-Year Grants: To date, funding has ranged from $3,000/year to $24,000/year.
Grantees have up to 6 months from the date of the decision notice to claim the grant.
Multi-Year Grants are made available to support the evolution of an initiative over a period of two or three years.
Typically, registration with Canada Revenue Agency as a charitable organization is required to be eligible to apply for a Community Grant.
Incorporation as a not-for-profit is not sufficient to qualify. However, an organization that does not have charitable status can apply for a Community Grant as long as it works with a charitable partner that has agreed to sponsor the application.
There are also a limited number of other categories of organizations that are eligible to apply directly.
- Applicants must demonstrate fiscal responsibility and have a committed volunteer board.
- The initiative for which the grant is being requested must benefit residents of Ottawa.
- Previous Community Grant recipients must file an Evaluation Report before applying for a new grant.
The Community Grants program does not provide funding for the following:
- Core operations (see note below);
- Fundraising events or campaigns;
- Partisan political or religious activities;
- Deficit reduction;
- Equipment purchases for administrative purposes.
Note: Staff salaries and/or maintenance and administrative costs are not eligible if associated with basic operations and established, ongoing programs. These costs can qualify, however, if associated with the development and/or implementation of new programs, the expansion or evolution of existing programs, or such other initiatives as capacity development, strategic planning, evaluation, etc.
One-Year Grants applications are accepted at two deadlines each year – February 1 and October 1.
The period from the application deadline to the notice of decision to applicants is about 2-3 months. This means that applicants submitting for the February 1 deadline usually receive notice by late April, and applicants for the October 1st deadline usually receive notice by early December. Unsuccessful applicants may receive notice earlier.
Multi-Year Grant Applications involve a two-step process – a letter of intent due on December 1, and a proposal due February 1.
The Foundation strongly encourages organizations requesting to contact staff to discuss their Multi-Year project prior to submitting a Letter of Intent.
Complete applications must be received no later than 5:00 PM on the deadline date.
Note: Typically, the amount available for the fall round is less than in the spring, so if your timing and needs permit, consider applying for the February 1 deadline.
One-Year Grant Application Instructions:
Multi-Year Application Instructions:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Tais McNeill, CGP Coordinator
613-236-1616, ext. 223
Rebecca Aird, Director
613-236-1616, ext. 222
Ottawa Community Foundation
301-75 Albert St.
Ottawa ON, K1P 5E7