Foundation / Corporation
Preservation Maryland and Maryland Historical Trust
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 to Maryland nonprofit organizations and local jurisdictions for the protection of endangered cultural resources. The Fund promotes innovative education projects that can inform best practices across the state.
Eligible projects fall into three general categories: education and research, planning and feasibility, and repair and rehabilitation.
- Stabilization or acquisition of endangered historic properties
- Feasibility studies, architectural plans, structural assessments and historic structure reports
- Projects benefiting archaeological resources including curatorial services
- Repair and restoration of historic materials
- Educational, research, and planning efforts related to resource preservation
- Organizational development for local preservation organizations – including but not limited to:
- Board and volunteer development
- Establishing strategic planning goals
- Membership development
- Marketing plans
- Fundraising activities
- Media relations
- Collaborative projects are encouraged
- Legal services engaged to protect endangered historic resources – including structures, sites, archaeological resources, or the creation or strengthening of a local preservation ordinance
Criteria for Grant Awards
The following criteria will be used by the selection committee to evaluate and select projects for funding, on a competitive basis, that meet the purposes and priorities of the Heritage Fund:
- Relative historical and cultural significance of the resource(s)
- Urgency of the need for financial assistance
- Provision for long-term resource preservation
- Administrative capability of the applicant
- Extent to which the project stimulates or promotes other preservation activities
- Educational value of the project
- Demonstrative and innovative value of the project
- Extent to which the project leverages other sources of financial assistance
- Readiness of the applicant to initiate and complete the project
- Extent to which the project contributes to the equitable geographic distribution of Heritage Fund money across the state
GrantWatch ID#: 174196
The minimum grant is $1,000 and the maximum grant is $10,000.
Projects must be completed within one year of grant approval.
Nonprofit organizations and local jurisdictions are eligible to apply.
Projects must be located in the state of Maryland.
Application deadlines are March 16, 2018 and September 14, 2018.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the grant guidelines.
Watch the FAQ video: https://youtu.be/WAzqaL7c-dA
- Funds will be disbursed on a reimbursable basis.
- A cash or in-kind match of at least 10% is required.
- Grant award recipients may apply for same project or site one year after award date.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply Online: https://presmd.wufoo.com/forms/spring-2018-heritage-fund-application/
If you have questions about the application process, contact Jessica Feldt, Preservation Initiatives Manager, at:
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 248
Baltimore, MD 21211
Phone: 410/685-2886 ext. 302