Foundation / Corporation
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI)
08/11/17 4:00 PM
Grants to Rhode Island nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that focus on decreasing childhood obesity and promoting healthy weight for all ages. The Foundation is seeking programs or projects that will invest resources into changing the direction of overweight and obesity problems in local youth.
Preference will go towards funding programs in low-income communities and communities of color, in which children face an even higher risk of becoming obese than the national average.
The Foundation will fund programs that:
- Collect and capture statewide data regarding the state of children’s weight in Rhode Island
- Increase access to affordable healthy foods and/or safe places to be active
- Support local community-based organizations that provide community education and outreach on the importance of good nutrition, physical activity, and healthy weight for children and their families
The Foundation will favor applicants that offer:
- Innovative programs that expand and enhance services, increase capacity, and/or incorporate new strategies to support healthy body weights among young children.
- Evidenced-based interventions or prevention initiatives.
- Collaborations with one or more agencies working together.
GrantWatch ID#: 174316
Funding begins in January 2018. Blue Cross is not currently making multiyear grant awards. However, applicants who receive funding may apply for second-year transitional funding. Grants may be renewed for a maximum of one additional year (at an equal or lesser amount) based on successful performance and results.
To be eligible, applicants must be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code. Collaborations and coalitions must have a lead applicant organization with 501(c)(3) status.
Preference in funding goes to organizations working in schools vs. funding individual schools directly. Similarly, preference for funding will be given to organizations working with state/city agencies vs. state/city agencies directly.
Grants will not be awarded to:
- Endowments and research programs
- Religious organizations
- Governmental agencies (unless working in partnership with a nonprofit organization serving as lead)
- Political, labor, fraternal, or veterans’ organizations
- Hospitals (individual or system)
- Organizations that discriminate by race, creed, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other basis prohibited by law
- Organizations that have received a BlueAngel Community Health Grant within the last two years
- Capital campaigns, exclusive of portable equipment needed for program delivery
To apply, submit a Letter of Intent by August 11, 2017, 4:00 PM online.
Each letter of intent will be reviewed to determine its conformity to the eligibility guidelines established by BCBSRI on the basis of our available resources for the current year. Organizations completing a letter of intent will hear from BCBSRI regarding a decision to invite a full proposal.
Organizations invited to submit a full proposal will have approximately 30 days to complete the full proposal application online. Site visits will be conducted prior to the review committee convening. Grant awards are announced in December 2017.
How to Apply: https://www.bcbsri.com/about-us/how-apply-blueangel-community-health-grant
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply: http://www.cybergrants.com/pls/cybergrants/quiz.display_question?x_gm_id=5590&x_quiz_id=6888&x_order_by=1
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island
500 Exchange Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 459-1000
USA: Rhode Island