Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (MBVCA)
11/05/18 3:00 PM
Grants of up to $30,000 to Miami Beach, Florida nonprofit and for-profit organizations for programs and projects that promote local tourism year-round. Potential applicants must meet with the MBVCA administration to determine eligibility prior to the completion and/or submission of a grant application.
The Funding Source's mission is to recruit, develop, promote, and financially support and partner with events, festivals, programs, and activities that are innovative, high quality, and representative of Miami Beach, which garner positive or noteworthy media awareness, which enhance and augment the reputation of Miami Beach and the experience for tourists, year-round, or which significantly impact local hospitality and culinary business.
The panel will provide priority attention to the following tourism development objectives in regard to making funding decisions:
- Television Coverage: Programs with confirmed television coverage and viewership from a major network or cable provider.
- Development Areas: Programs which occur during the months of June - September and during national holidays; programs which help expand the positive impact of tourism into North Beach and other under-utilized areas of Miami Beach.
- Confirmation of Hotel Room Nights: Programs with confirmed hotel room blocks of 350 hotel room nights or more in a Miami Beach hotel.
- Significant Impact: Programs that have a track record or a demonstrable potential to provide a significant national
and/or international return for Miami Beach in regard to publicity and visitorship.
- Long-Term Planning: Year-round activities, series of events and/or entire seasons which demonstrate comprehensive and strategic approaches to building effective cultural tourism programs.
- Open to the Public: Programs, events, and activities that are open and accessible to Miami Beach visitors and residents.
- Event Quality/Reputation - events that attract high caliber and high profile artists to perform in Miami Beach; events with an outstanding national or international reputation.
Initiatives can be a repeat grant but are usually a one-time grant.
GrantWatch ID#: 174527
The maximum grant request is one quarter of the actual project budget, up to a maximum of $30,000.
Funding Project Activities between October 1, 2018 – September 30, 2019.
Nonprofit and for-profit organizations may apply.
- Applicant organizations must be incorporated for a minimum of one year from the event start date to be eligible to apply for a grant. If applicant organization has been incorporated less than a year, a Fiscal Agent, with a minimum of one year of incorporation from the event start date, may apply on their behalf.
- Applicants presenting to the Board must be registered as lobbyists with the City of Miami Beach.
- Applicants should be prepared to make a brief presentation about their program and be ready to respond to questions from the MBVCA Board. Applicants must be present at the meeting to be considered for funding.
- At least 50% of the events must take place within the City of Miami Beach.
- Programs must have accessibility to the public
The following are not eligible for funding support:
- Administrative Expenses to include payroll taxes, medical, insurance, worker’s compensation, pension contributions, etc.
- Administrative Salaries/Production Labor Costs/Labor Costs/Artist Fees/Performer Fees
- Applicant Organizations will less than one year of incorporation
- Capital expenses and permanent equipment
- Cash Prizes
- Charitable Contributions
- City Services (permit fees, off-duty police, insurance, etc.)
- Conventions and conferences that do not have a significant national and/or international tourism impact for Miami
- Debt Reduction
- Events not open to the public
- Expenses incurred prior to grant award date or fiscal year; whichever is later
- Film Productions (must apply under Film Incentive Grant Program)
- Fiscal Agents may not be used by organizations that are applying to or receiving funding from the CAP, during the current fiscal year
- Incomplete or misrepresented applications
- Light pole banner costs within Miami Dade County
- Local marketing and advertising costs (Miami Dade County publications) – only regional, national, and international
- Monthly/Annual Organizational Membership Fees
- Operational Expenses (utilities, office rental costs, legal fees, payroll fees, insurance, etc.)
- Organizations failing to meet Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 as amended (42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act requirements.
- Organizations that are currently applying for or have received a grant from the Miami Beach Cultural Affairs Program (CAP)
- Organizations that have not filed their Final Report as required for prior MBVCA funded programs
- Organizations who owe monies to venues owned and/or managed by the City of Miami Beach (Byron Carlyle Theater, Colony Theater, Fillmore at the Jackie Gleason, Miami Beach Convention Center, Miami Beach Botanical Gardens, Bass Museum of Art, etc.)
- Programs or expenses for programs that do not take place in the fiscal year
- Programs that do not wholly or substantially take place within the City of Miami Beach
- Publications not directly associated with the promotion of an event
- Social/Fundraising programs
- Television, Video, or Filming Expenses
- Travel and/or Hospitality costs
- Website Design/IT Development and Maintenance
The MBVCA shall not be considered the sole source of funding. Applicants must provide their entire program budget. This budget must show sponsors, who have been secured prior to seeking support from the MBVCA, and indicate those funding sources in the budget portion of the application. Applicants must demonstrate a minimum of a three-to-one funding ratio.
Application Instructions and Evaluation:
Applications are submitted through a multi-step process where all required grant criteria and a draft application must be submitted and approved by the published deadline date before being able to move onto the next step in the process. If the documentation is not received or is not acceptable by the deadline date, the applicant may not continue with the grant process. Once the grant criteria and draft application are approved, the applicant may proceed to the next step of submitting the remainder of the required application attachments. Once all documentation is received, corrections may be issued to the applicant. Late applications will not be accepted and therefore, will not be considered by the Board.
Second Period: February 1, 2019 – May 31, 2019
Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by: Friday, October 12, 2018 by 4:00 pm
Project Information and Required Grant Criteria must be submitted for approval by: Friday, October 19, 2018 by 3:00 pm
Draft Application and Application Attachments must be submitted by: Friday, October 26, 2018 by 3:00 pm
Final Application Deadline: Monday, November 5, 2018 by 3:00 pm
Board Meeting Date: TBA in November/December 2018
Third Period: June 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019
Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by: Friday, January 18, 2019 by 4:00 pm
Project Information and Required Grant Criteria must be submitted for approval by Friday, January 25, 2019 by 3:00 pm
Draft Application and Application Attachments must be submitted by: Friday, February 1, 2019 by 3:00 pm
Final Application Deadline: Monday, February 11, 2019 by 12:00 pm
Board Meeting Date: TBA in March/April 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To schedule a meeting with MBVCA staff, call 305-673-7050.
Email contact form:
Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority
1701 Meridian Avenue, Suite 403
Miami Beach, FL 33139
USA: Florida: Miami Beach