Foundation / Corporation
St. Louis Community Foundation - Spirit of St. Louis Women's Fund (SOS)
01/25/19 5:00 PM
Grants generally ranging between $5,000 and $25,000 to Missouri and Illinois nonprofits for community benefit programs in the Greater St. Louis area. LOIs are due September 28, 2018. Funding is intended for the focus areas of education, arts and culture, health, social services, and the environment. Funding may be requested for capacity building, general operating support, or to support new or existing programs.
GrantWatch ID#: 174553
Grants of $5,000 - $25,000 are generally awarded.
Grants will take place over a single year.
To be considered for SOS grant funding, organizations MUST:
- Be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Have an operating budget of less than $1.5 million
- Be headquartered and provide services within the Greater St. Louis Community which includes the City of St. Louis and/or the following counties: St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson and Franklin in Missouri or St. Clair, Madison and Monroe in Illinois (Organizations can provide services outside this specific area but SOS will only fund the services provided to the Greater St. Louis Community)
- Organizations receiving SOS grants for two consecutive years must wait one year before applying for additional grant money.
SOS does not award grants for:
- Organizations not operating within the Greater St. Louis Community
- Services delivered outside the Greater St. Louis Community
- Chapters of national organizations receiving financial support from their national office
- For-profit organizations
- Major building/capital campaigns, although program specific capital requests may receive grants
- Conferences or benefits
- Individuals, for any purpose
- Scholarships for a named individual, although scholarship funds may receive grants
- Projects that promote religious or political doctrine
- Research (medical or otherwise)
- Operating deficits/retirement of existing debt
If the SOS interest areas and application requirements are compatible with the needs of your nonprofit organization, you are invited to submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI). Letters of Inquiry will be accepted September 1, 2018 - September 28, 2018 to the current grant cycle.
To submit a Letter of Inquiry for the first time, you must Register Your Organization. Once approved (within a week) you will receive an email with a username and password which will enable you to login your organization and upload your Letter of Inquiry.
SOS accepts Full Grant Applications BY INVITATION ONLY. After evaluating your organization’s Letter of Inquiry, your organization will be notified if SOS would like you to submit a full proposal.
Grant application timeline for 2018-2019:
- September 1 - Letters of Interest are accepted online
- September 28 - Letters of Interest deadline
- November 2018, Third week - Organizations are notified regarding whether they are being asked to submit a full proposal
- January 25 - Full Proposal deadline (5:00 PM)
- February - March 2019: Site Visits occur
- May 2019, Second week - Grant Awards for 2019 are announced and organizations notified
- May 22 - Annual Grant Spirit Awards Ceremony
Full Application Instructions:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register online: http://members.spiritstlwomensfund.org/registerOrganization
If you have any questions or need help with the Letter of Inquiry process, contact:
St. Louis Community Foundation/SOS
2 Oak Knoll Park
St. Louis, MO 63105
USA: Illinois: St. Clair, Madison and Monroe; Missouri: St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson and Franklin.