Foundation / Corporation
Grants to USA nonprofits and organizations for programs that promote diversity and inclusion within the legal profession. Funding is intended for special projects and events, education and outreach, and attorney development programs that focus on populations under-represented in the legal profession.
Programs should align with the Legal Department’s key pillars of focus:
1. Strategic Programs and Events: Walmart Legal coordinates with community partners to find creative solutions to promote inclusivity and celebrate culture in the legal profession through special projects and programs. Within this pillar, Walmart Legal has supported:
- The publication of two books that share the stories and advice of lawyers with physical and mental disabilities
- A Young Lawyers' Division think tank for creative pipeline program concepts
- Teen town hall meetings for inner-city high school students, with presentations by lawyers from the community to talk about mentorship, civil rights and civil liberties, and issues unique to their local community
- Academic research, analysis, and reports on diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and the experiences of diverse attorneys
2. Development and Retention of Diverse Attorneys: The profession is only as good as its talent. Walmart Legal embraces initiatives that focus on development of attorneys' skills and competencies, and encourage diverse attorneys to stay actively engaged in the legal community. Within this pillar, Walmart Legal has supported:
- Opportunities for attorneys from minority and women owned firms to offer Continuing Legal Education to other attorneys
- Affinity bar association professional development conferences and meetings
- Leadership training specialized for minority groups who are under-represented in the legal profession
3. Advancement of a Diverse Pipeline: Walmart Legal is committed to planting the seeds for future generations of legal professionals. K-12, college and law school outreach and recruitment is the key to expose young talent to what it means to be a lawyer and to the desirability of a career in law. Within this pillar, Walmart Legal has supported:
- Scholarships for law students and college students interested in legal careers
- Pre-law programs for high school and college students
- Internship programs and professional development training for law students
GrantWatch ID#: 174875
Eligible organizations must operate or be affiliates or chapters of larger organizations that operate at a national, regional or state level. Programming must focus on diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
The application period for 2017 is from August 15 – September 30. Funding decisions on applications submitted during this period will be made by February 1, 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To begin the application process, please email email@example.com to request an invitation code.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming