St. Mary's County Arts Council (SMCAC)
Grants to St. Mary's County, Maryland nonprofits, agencies, and IHEs for arts activities benefiting the community. Funding may be awarded for arts projects in the areas of visual arts, children's arts events, literature, music, dance, folk art, multi-discipline, media, and theater. To be considered for funding, a project must be directly related to the arts.
Funding is intended to increase the community’s awareness of the value of the arts and how the arts can enhance the quality of the community and individual lives, and to foster and encourage the development of the arts and artists in St. Mary’s County.
GrantWatch ID#: 174995
Programs must take place between March 1 and October 31.
Requirements for organizations receiving grants from the SMCAC:
- Must have been in existence for one year prior to the application
- Must have been both incorporated in Maryland as a nonprofit and have received tax exempt status from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Units of government, colleges, and universities are also eligible to apply.
- All performances, exhibits, and/or classes must be held within St. Mary’s County and be open to the general public.
- Must not have any Final Reports outstanding.
- Recognition for the grant must be given to the St. Mary’s County Arts Council and the Maryland State Arts Council in all public service announcements, programs, press releases, web sites, etc.
- Must comply with Title VI, Section 601, of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which states that no persons, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination to the arts
- Must comply with the Title IV, Section 1681, of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Age Discrimination Action, Section 6101, of 1975, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex or age
- Must comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which states that no otherwise qualified person shall, solely by reason of his or her handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination related to the arts.
- Supplementary materials must be provided which can include catalogues, reviews, programs, brochures or promotional materials related to the artists/performers of the proposed project.
Grants will not be awarded for any of the following: re-granting, capital construction and/or equipment purchases, social functions, parties and receptions, loan principal payments, pro-rated salaries, rent, utilities, activities that benefit only the members of an organization or those activities closed to all but an organizations membership, transportation, general operating expenses not directly associated with an arts event, program, or project, and fund raising events.
Written Statements of intent are encouraged as soon as possible.
All grant applications must be received for consideration by SMCAC on or before the published deadlines. Notification of the Board decision will be made within 30 days of the deadline.
Grant requests must be received by October 1 for programs that take place between November 1 and February 29.
Grant requests must be received by February 1 for programs that take place between March 1 and October 31.
Application funds should be matched on a dollar for dollar basis. In-Kind services can serve to support the match up to one-quarter of the total project budget. (In-Kind services are services which ordinarily would be paid for by your organization, but are being voluntarily contributed to help carry out your activities.)
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Application, copies, and supporting materials must be mailed to:
St. Marys County Arts Council
PO Box 1310
Leonardtown, MD 20650
USA: Maryland: St. Mary's County