Foundation / Corporation
Martin Ennals Foundation
Award to a USA, Canada, or International individual for outstanding work in defending human rights. The purpose of the program is to support and protect advocates of human rights who are at risk due to their efforts. Nominees should demonstrate commitment and integrity in defending the human rights enshrined in international human rights law.
Nominees will be also be evaluated on the following:
1) The candidate has demonstrated integrity and commitment in the defense of the human rights enshrined in international human rights law.
2) The candidate is working in front-line human rights work in conditions hostile to fundamental human rights.
3) The candidate has consistently demonstrated the determination and courage to continue despite difficulties, threats and lack of local support.
4) The award and the attendant international publicity and recognition are likely to benefit the candidate’s capacity to carry out her/his work.
5) The candidate has an active record of combating human rights violations by innovative/creative means.
GrantWatch ID#: 175027
USA, Canada, and International individuals are eligible.
The human right defenders (HRD) must be currently active. Posthumous nominations will not be considered. In addition, the HRD:
- Must be demonstrably at risk,
- Must work with non-violent means.
Nominations close on March 26, 2019.
Three finalists will be selected by Jury and announced in October/November 2019. The Laureate will be announced in February 2020.
More about the award: http://www.martinennalsaward.org/about-us/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To nominate, see the URL for Full Text link below.
Martin Ennals Foundation
8 rue du Vieux-Billard
1211 Geneva 8
Phone: +41 22 809 4925
Fax: +41 22 809 4929
Michael Khambatta, Director
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.