Destination British Columbia (BC)
04/30/19 4:30 PM EST
Grants to British Columbia organizations for projects and events that will increase tourism within the Province. Funding is intended to widen the impact and reach of cultural, arts, and competitive sports events by covering the costs of marketing and promotional materials, advertisements, and broadcasting.
Tourism is one of the world’s most competitive industries and a vital component of a strong, sustainable economy in British Columbia. Recognizing the importance of this industry, the Tourism Events Program (TEP) was created to help events increase the volume of visitors to British Columbia, broaden global recognition of the Province, and build its reputation as an internationally renowned destination. By providing supplemental funding for marketing, promotional, advertising and broadcast activities, the TEP helps events gain exposure and have a greater impact on the Province.
Funding provided through the TEP must be used to broaden the reach and impact of the event through marketing and communications, which may include: broadcasts, promotional materials, social media, advertisements, etc.
The following program requirements are mandatory:
- The event must take place in B.C.
- The event must be a tourism event (i.e. the event draws tourists specifically for the event, and is not primarily community focused).
- The event must be a sporting competition, arts, cultural celebration or festival.
- The event must be confirmed (i.e. funding for an event bid is not eligible).
- The event should be able to demonstrate financial viability (i.e. majority of operational funding is confirmed).
The following criteria are also considered:
- International and national profile: The event raises awareness, nationally and internationally, of British Columbia’s tourism brands by having provincial, national and/or international broadcasting or other media reach;
- Tourism value: The event motivates Canadians and people from around the world to travel to British Columbia by drawing a large number of out-of-town visitors in relation to the size of the host community;
- Economic impact: The event offers significant economic impact relative to the size of the host community(ies);
- Regional benefits: The event generates tourism and economic benefits for the surrounding region beyond the host community, takes place in multiple communities, and/ or takes place in a rural or remote community.
Funding provided through TEP must be used to broaden the reach and impact of the event through broadcasts, promotional materials, marketing, and advertisements. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- App development (event specific)
- Billboards/digital advertising display
- Broadcasting and associated costs
- Contracted marketing staff
- Marketing strategy/plan development
- Event posters
- Event specific website development, framework and hosting
- Google AdWords and Search Engine Optimization
- Media buys
- Program guides for distribution before the event
- Promotional signage
- Radio, print, television and online advertising
- Social media marketing
GrantWatch ID#: 175161
The minimum funding request is $10,000 for all events. Applicants may apply for grants within the following limits:
- Small Event (with event budget* up to $500,000) - $10,000-$35,000
- Mid-Sized Event (budget up to $1.5 million) - Up to $100,000
- Large Event (budget of $1.5 million or greater) - Up to $175,000
- Very Large Event (budget of $2.5 million or greater) - Up to $250,000
* The Event Budget is the sum of total operating costs related to the event and should not include the requested TEP funding. The operating costs must be for the event itself and not the operating expenses of the applicant organization. The above funding limits are the maximum amounts an event can apply for; however, the applicant must ensure the requested funding amount is appropriate for the event and that funding will only be applied to eligible uses of funds.
The application window now open (with the October 31, 2018, deadline) is for events taking place between May 1, 2019, and April 30, 2020.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Inquiries and applications should be sent to:
Destination BC Vancouver Office
12th Floor - 510 Burrard Street
Canada: British Columbia