Foundation / Corporation
Conservation Fund - CSX Corporation
Grants ranging from $2,500 to $10,000 to USA nonprofits and government agencies in eligible states to help defray the costs of equipment, transportation, and other operational costs in distributing fresh food to underserved and vulnerable populations.
Organizations must be located in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, or West Virginia.
Funding is specifically intended for the purchase of equipment to broaden distribution to individuals and families in need of fresh food. Types of equipment may include, but not be limited to:
- Refrigerated trucks or trailers to deliver perishable foods to farmers’ markets, food hubs, or distribution centers
- Mobile market trucks (“veggie vans” or “mobile food stands”) that bring fresh produce and other fresh food to populations in need
- Mobile processing facility for small livestock or on-site value-added processing needed for transportation (i.e. flash freezing, drying, or refrigeration of seafood)
- Cold Storage bins/produce boxes
Preference will be given to grant applications that demonstrate that they will be able to:
1) Serve a greater number of people with the equipment’s use.
2) Serve vulnerable or underserved populations/distressed communities according to U.S. census tract information and/or USDA food desert designation.
3) Demonstrate the ability to reliably track over a two-year period of time impacts such as expanded organizational capacity, increased distribution reach, numbers of people and/or communities served, improved socio-economic profile of end users, etc.
4) Provide and document local match--either direct cash match or in-kind contributions--that leverage this grant with other sources of support. No exact match percentage is required but provision of match will be strongly considered in grant evaluation.
The grantors reserve the right to award grants based upon geographic diversity. (The grantors seek to support transportation infrastructure across the targeted geography.)
GrantWatch ID#: 175502
Grants are available in the following amounts: $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, or $10,000.
The grant period will be from January 2018 to April 2019. Grant funds must be spent by April 30, 2018.
To qualify for these grants, eligible applicants must be:
- Located in one of the states served by CSX rail (Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia). See the CSX system map link in Grant Coverage Areas below.
- A governmental agency - local, state, or federal government OR a non-profit organization that is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- A local foods distributor that supplies or delivers fresh produce and/or perishable foods such as meat, dairy, and seafood.
Note: Previous grant awardees are eligible to apply.
Applications are due September 29, 2017 by midnight.
Notifications will be made by the end of December 2017. Grants funds will be disbursed upon receipt of fully executed award agreement.
Please note: No match percentage is required but the provision of a match will be strongly considered in grant evaluation.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email applications and questions to:
Margarita Carey, Program Associate
National Conservation Training Center
698 Conservation Way
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
USA: Alabama; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Mississippi; New Jersey; New York City; New York; North Carolina; Ohio; Pennsylvania; South Carolina; Tennessee; Virginia; West Virginia