Foundation / Corporation
Grants ranging from $200 to $2,000 to Vermont artists to create new works and develop new techniques in the craft mediums of fiber, clay, glass, metal, jewelry, wood, stone, and basketry. Grants are available for both emerging and established artisans for craft materials and equipment, and to attend workshops.
Four distinct types of applications will be considered for funding. Any “eligible applicant” (both members and non-members of Frog Hollow) may apply for:
1. Fees related to attending relevant workshops, residencies, conferences or an exceptional opportunity for advanced study with a significant master or mentor (outside of a classroom setting and not related to any degree program) that should result in significant learning and professional development ($200-$750 per award). Note, food/meals will not be supported and a maximum of $50 per night for housing, if relevant, may be awarded. Applicants must make a strong case for why the attendance/participation is important and the impact it will have on their work.
2. Purchase of non-consumable craft equipment that is essential for learning a new line or developing an existing line of craft-making ($200-$750 per award); applicants must make a strong case for why the purchase of this equipment is essential and the impact it will have on their work.
3. Purchase of essential, consumable craft materials to learn and explore a new (not existing) direction of craft-making ($200-$500); applicants must make a strong case for why the purchase of these materials is essential and the impact it will have on their work.
4. Established Artisans may request up to $2,000 to support them as they explore new areas, learn new techniques and develop a new body of work either independently or with support of a residency or workshop. The application must clearly explain the nature and direction of this new work and why this supported time is particularly important for their professional development at this time. The applicant should demonstrate that amount of funds requested is commensurate with the applicant’s investment of time and focus in the new body of work. At least one of the Established Artisan awards each year wil be given to a Frog Hollow member artist.
GrantWatch ID#: 175518
- Workshops: Attending relevant workshops, residencies, conferences, advanced study ($200-$750)
- Non-Consumable Equipment: Purchase of non-consumable craft equipment ($200-$750)
- Consumable Equipment: Purchase of consumable craft materials for a new direction of craft-making ($200-$500)
- New Body of Work: Develop a new body of work (up to $2,000; for Established Artisans only)
Funding is to be expended within 12 months of the award.
Individuals who meet all of the following requirements:
- Clearly identify as either an Established artisan or an Emerging Artisan. Emerging artisans are those who are accomplished in the basic techniques in their craft form, are in the early developmental stage of their careers, and who are attempting to launch a professional career in the crafts. An artisan is not required to have any particular degree or type of education to qualify as an emerging artisan.
- Seek support for work in one of the following areas of traditional craft: clay, wood, metal, stone, glass, fiber, jewelry, basketry (as defined by the Vermont State Craft Center Oversight Committee for Craft Application).
- Have been residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline and are residents at the time the award is granted.
- Are 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Submit one and only one funding proposal; Frog Hollow cannot consider more than one application per individual during a given funding cycle; nor may an applicant apply during any given funding cycle both as an individual and as part of a collaborative application.
Not funded: Food, credit-bearing academic tuition, lobbying expenses, or fundraising events.
Anticipated Timeline for the Funding Cycle:
- Sept. 25, 2017: Frog Hollow disseminates invitations and application materials for proposals.
- Feb. 1, 2018: Deadline for completed application materials.
- March 1, 2018: Awards will be announced, and Awardees will be contacted and asked to sign a contract specifying the terms of the award. Upon signing the contract, the awardee will receive 75% of the award; the remaining 25% will be paid on receipt of the final report.
- February 1, 2019: Final Report must be submitted by each awardee to Frog Hollow no later than this deadline.
- March, 2019: Frog Hollow will have the option to exhibit a sample of the work that was created with support of the grant awards.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online at http://froghollow.org/node/add/artist_grant_application
Rob Hunter, Director of Frog Hollow
85 Church Street
Burlington, VT 05401