Foundation / Corporation
Grants typically ranging from $5,000 to $80,000 to USA and Japan nonprofit organizations for youth leadership programs. Applicants are advised to contact the funding source well in advance of the deadline. Priority is given to STEM programs, as well as programs that help prepare young women for careers in STEM or business fields.
Applicants are judged based on their potential for meaningful impact through programs that:
- Provide programs that span the continuum of cross-cultural youth leadership development, from exposure and inspiration to learning, leadership development, and alumni engagement
- Expose underserved communities to foreign cultures
- Bring new and diverse voices to the U.S.-Japan relationship
- Offer life-transforming opportunities for high potential youth
- Address a need or tackle a challenge in an underserved area (geographic, demographic, social, sector)
GrantWatch ID#: 175524
TOMODACHI typically awards grants in the range of $5,000-$80,000 per program, but all funding decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
Organizations submitting funding proposals must include proof of 501(c)(3) status (U.S. organizations) or non-profit status (Japanese organizations) with their application.
The TOMODACHI Initiative will not fund individuals, only institutions.
The TOMODACHI Initiative will not consider proposals for the following:
- Programs with target participant group over the age of 35;
- Programs for commercial (profit-making) purposes;
- Political activities, election campaigns, or religious activities;
- Activities in support of specific doctrines or claims;
- Programs that are centered only around tourism/travel (i.e. without leadership component).
2018 Application Timeline
Deadline for Submission:
-January 15, 2018
-September 15, 2018
Program Committee Decisions Notified
-March 31, 2018
- December 30, 2018
Because the applicant pool is very competitive, serious applications are encouraged to contact the Foundation well in advance of the submission deadline to discuss the application process.
All application materials must be in English and all financial figures/budget items should be in the currency in which you would like to receive the funds (i.e. Yen or Dollars).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Send questions and completed applications and forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Michiyo Horita, Director of External Communications and Program Manager
New Otani Garden Court 12F
4-1 Kioicho , Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 102-0095 Japan
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.