Foundation / Corporation
03/01/19 5:00 PM MST
Grants to Maricopa County, Arizona nonprofit organizations for programs that help people in need, assist children and families, and improve the quality of life for local residents. Proposals can support education, at-risk youth and families, improve the lives of the physically and mentally challenged, and work to eliminate domestic violence, homelessness, and poverty.
Grants are made for both programming and capital support. Thunderbirds Charities only accepts requests from organizations serving Maricopa County, unless the project/program serves primarily Maricopa County residents.
GrantWatch ID#: 175534
There is no “set” range, our grant amounts vary, depending on revenues from the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Multi-year grants are not made.
To be eligible, a charity must hold a 501(c)(3) nonprofit status and be based in Arizona. A nonprofit organization’s 501 (c) (3) status must have been in operation for a minimum of three years in Arizona.
Thunderbirds Charities only accepts requests from organizations serving Maricopa County, unless the project/program serves primarily Maricopa County residents.
Thunderbirds Charities does not support sectarian religious activities or sectarian religious facilities. However, churches and other religious organizations may submit proposals if their activities benefit the larger community and decisions to accept clients are not made on the basis of religious belief and/or affiliation.
Thunderbirds Charities will accept only one proposal per year from individual branches or clubs of larger entities, such as Boy Scouts of America, YMCA, or Boys and Girls Club. For these purposes, the “parent organization” generally refers to that entity to which the IRS has issued a Section 501(c)(3) determination letter.
- Nonprofit organizations whose 501c3 status has been in effect for less than three years.
- Political, labor, or fraternal organizations
- Advocacy or lobbying activities for issue-related topics
- Medical or scientific research
- Endowments, fellowships, and scholarships (for college purposes)
- Religious organizations, churches, or programs that are purely denominational in purpose
- Foundations and organizations which are themselves grant-making entities
- Individual schools and their support organizations (including Booster Clubs, PTOs/PTAs, athletic teams, bands, performing arts groups, alumni associations, reunions, or school foundations)
- Debt reduction campaigns
- Ongoing support or multi-year suport
- Projects or programs outside of Maricopa County, unless the project/program primarily serves Maricopa County residents
Application process opens: August 1, 2018
Application submission deadline: September 1, 2018
Funding decision notification: Late November 2018
Application process opens: February 1, 2019
Application submission deadline: March 1, 2019
Funding decision notification: Late April 2019
Proposals are accepted on or before the due date, and proposals that are submitted prior to the deadline are appreciated. All materials must be received online no later than 5:00 pm MST the day of the deadline.
-Organizations still may submit a proposal only once a year.
-Thunderbirds Charities only accepts proposals submitted electronically through its website
-Once the funding deadline has occurred, it takes approximately 3 ½ months for notification to occur.
How to apply:
Funding Cycle Deadlines:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
7226 N. 16th Street, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85020
USA: Arizona: Maricopa County