Foundation / Corporation
Flagstaff Arts Council
Awards to Flagstaff, Arizona nonprofit and for-profit organizations, artists, and educators to recognize outstanding contributions to the arts and sciences. Nominees will be considered in the categories of visual arts, storytelling, arts education, science education, performing arts/music, emerging artists, business for the arts, community impact, innovation, and the Viola Legacy award.
Award Category Details:
- Excellence in the Visual Arts: This award is given to an artist, group of artists, or organization for the production of an excellent work or exhibition of visual art, produced and displayed during 2017 in the greater Flagstaff area. This could be for a single work of art or for an exhibition of several works of art.
- Excellence in Storytelling: This award is given to a writer, filmmaker, or other storyteller for the presentation of an excellent work of art presented in 2017 in the greater Flagstaff area. This could be for a film, live reading of written works or stories, recorded presentation, book, short story, essay, poem, or a series of stories, essays and/or poems.
- Excellence in Arts Education: Awarded to an arts educator active in the Flagstaff area for a minimum of three years, for outstanding work and contributions to arts education in 2017.
- Excellence in Science Education: Awarded to a science educator active in the Flagstaff area for a minimum of three years, for outstanding work and contributions to science education in 2017.
- Excellence in the Performing Arts / Excellence in Music: This award is given to a musician, performing artist, group of musicians/performing arts, or organization for the presentation of music or performing arts production or publication, presented in 2017 in the greater Flagstaff area. This could be a director of a theatrical production, a musician or group for a concert performance, a musician or group for an album, an organization for presentation of a dance or theater performance, an actor, choreographer, or dancer for a performance in a theatrical production, etc.
- Emerging Artist Award: This award is given to an emerging or student artist in any genre (visual, performing, music, literature, film, etc.) for an overall body of work, some of which must have been presented in 2017 in the greater Flagstaff area. The recipient of this award should be relatively new to her/his field, or a student in the field, with less than three years of professional experience.
- Business for the Arts: This award is given to a locally-based business for outstanding leadership in support of the arts through volunteerism, philanthropy, and/or support in 2017.
- Community Impact Award: This award is given to a locally-based individual and/or organization or institution for impact made in the arts and/or sciences in the greater Flagstaff area. This is not a lifetime achievement award, so the focus is on a project or program completed in the last year, or on a whole body of work during the last year.
- Innovation Award: The award is given to any individual or organization for an innovative or groundbreaking project or program produced in the greater Flagstaff area in the last year. This can be for ANY project or program (works of art, performances, presentations, service projects, publications, etc.) in the field.
- Viola Legacy Award: Awarded to an individual for exceptional service, outstanding dedication and life-long achievement in the arts and/or sciences. Each year, as many as three or as little as one award winners may be chosen.
GrantWatch ID#: 175860
All awards except the Viola Legacy Award are to recognize work in the previous year.
The Viola Awards recognize artists, educators, organizations and leaders who make positive contributions to arts and sciences in Flagstaff.
All nominees must be Flagstaff-based, except for the following categories, which permit the nominee to be based in communities within 100 miles of Flagstaff.
- Excellence in the Visual Arts
- Excellence in Storytelling
- Excellence in the Performing Arts / Excellence in Music
Other restrictions apply per category. See Nomination Categories and Criteria in Pre-Application Information below for details.
The deadline to make a nomination for the Viola Awards is December 1, 2017.
The Viola Award finalists will be posted in early January. The winners will be announced at the Gala event on Saturday, March 3rd, 2018 at the High Country Conference Center in Flagstaff.
Nomination Categories and Criteria:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
2300 N Fort Valley Rd.
PO Box 296
Flagstaff, AZ 86002
USA: Arizona: Flagstaff